Bugeye Hard Top Headliner???

Questions on what fits, originality, restoration? Check out this forum!

Bugeye Hard Top Headliner???

Postby KenR » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:57 pm

My bugeye project came with a hard top which looks like the early fctory hard top illustrated in the manual. I removed the rear glass (no markings on the glass..), had the body shop paint it OEW with the car and now I am ready to have the rear window installed. I realized that if I am going to put in a headliner, now is the time to do it, before the near window seal is put in. The underside of the top had remains of what appears to be yellow/brown glue (trim adhesive???) but no signs of a headliner. Any ideas what was original? What are folks doing for the inside of their hard tops today? I've already altered this Bugeye from stock (1275, Datsun 5-speed, 3.90 diff, alloys, radial tires, etc.) so in the purest sense I don't feel that I have to be 100% original, but I do want to follow the general theme of the car. Suggestions...
thanks, -Ken
KenR
948cc

Re: Bugeye Hard Top Headliner???

Postby HAN5L778 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:43 pm

I have a factory hardtop for my Bugeye. The underside appears to be just fiberglas. There is no evidence of adhesive on it. Of course being nearly 50 years old who knows what was there originally.
Richard
'69 Sprite-project with lots of trick parts.
'63 MGB waiting for restoration
HAN5L778
1098cc

Postby spritenut » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:32 pm

I put a headliner in one of my hardtops a while back.
I picked up some cloth covered foam headliner material from the local auto upholstry shop.
A can of spray glue and I had a nice headliner for about $25
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ
The BETTER not BIGGER Healeys
spritenut
1275cc

Postby healeynut » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:00 pm

Hello Ken,

The BMC Hardtop for the Bugeye Sprite was never fitted with a headliner by the factory. The underside of the hardtop was unfinished and and was coarse from the fiber layup and resin. The BMC Bugeye Hardtops were originally fitted with Triplex glass. You should be able to find an etched "Triplex" logo on the upper right (Passenger) side of the glass if the glass is original.

Brian
Brian Thornton
'60 Iris Blue Supercharged Sprite MKI
'67 Tartan Red Road n' Rally MKIV Sprite
healeynut
Pit Crew

Return to Hardtops