Hardtop Hardware for Mk I Midget

Questions on what fits, originality, restoration? Check out this forum!

Postby mg freak » Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:37 pm

Hi everyone! My name is Brandon and this is my first posting on this great site... I recently bought a restorable hardtop for my vehicle off E-bay, but of course the brackets, etc. were non-original crap. Anybody have any idea where to get some original hardware? Thanks, any help is very appreciated. :)
Last edited by mg freak on Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1962 MG Midget
mg freak
948cc

Postby dan » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:24 am

I'm assuming you have a Midget MK1 from your signature...

Not sure how that top attaches (did early Midgets use the same "clips" as the Bugeye tops?)

It might help as well if you could post a picture of the hardtop on SpriteSpot Photos.

d
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite
1985 Jaguar XJ6 VDP
dan
Site Admin

Postby mg freak » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:40 pm

Dan,

Thanks for the timely reply. My hardtop is the "later", non-Healey, aka BMC hardtop for the Mk I Midget and Mk II Sprite. It is the "square style" hardtop that uses standard sliding side-screens (vs hardtop dedicated side-screens with a rearward pitch to the rear of the side-screen).

According to my GRAPHOREF 27- Owner's Service Parts List, the two rear mounting brackets/fasteners appear the same as the Bugeye. However, the two front brackets use a chrome plate with a "carriage bolt" and a blind female nut- which is tightened from inside the car, presumably with a flat screwdriver.

I realize that a pic or two from the Parts List would help, but I am still a bit of a newbie to the computer age :?

Thanks,

Brandon
1962 MG Midget
mg freak
948cc

Postby Herbytoy » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:33 am

It sounds like I have the same top you have Brandon. I haven't found a source for the hardware yet but you can try some of these sources. For seals try MacGregor. Also for seals and possibly for hardware try Bill Bolton at tricarb@aol.com. I haven't contacted him about yet as I just picked up the up the top. AH Spares has the seals and hardware for the MK I top (rounded) but not the MK II.

Luckily my hardware is in decent shape (just needs rechroming) but I would also be interested in new hardware if available. I'm still researching. The rear brackets are much simpler than the BE brackets and can be easily fabbed up. They're essentially a flat piece of metal with a few bends. I am assuming mine are original.

I have taken pix of my top but need to get them posted here. I'll try tonight.
62 MKII Sprite (Herbytoy)
63 MKII Sprite (SOLD!!)
Herbytoy
948cc

Hardtop Hardware

Postby sprite63 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:28 pm

I have a MKI top on my MKII Sprite and have been looking for a MKII top . Virtually everyone I've found is missing clamps and brackets or the chrome drip catchers, and I have been unable to find anyone that offers them. Rubber gaskets and draft excluders can be found easy enough though. Neither the front clamps or the rear brackets are the same as the MKI top. I have details from the factory parts manual that I'll post as soon as Dan gets my sign on name and password reset.
62 MKII Sprite 1400cc,531 cam,45DCOE
sprite63
948cc

Postby mg freak » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:59 pm

Thanks for the vendor recommendations Herbytoy, they will come in handy. Sprite63, thanks for your reply as well.

I have thought of having some proper brackets/hardware fabricated to replace my missing ones, but have only a factory drawing to go by (and the occasional book photo, ie: Horler's book). It would be nice to have physical dimensions/material recorded from originals. I have two presumed original gray-painted rear (side) brackets and the four chrome-plated bolts (6 point and 1/4x28 I believe) that attach the rear brackets to the threaded inserts in the hardtop. According to my parts page, there would also be four flat washers to accompany the chrome bolts, but I am missing these. Would those washers be similarly chrome-plated? I am also missing the two rear carriage bolts, washers, and funky wingnuts- in addition to all of the front hardtop fasteners. Those fronts don't look too difficult to fab. out correctly however... 8)
1962 MG Midget
mg freak
948cc

Postby Herbytoy » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:24 am

Here a some pix of my hardtop attachement hardware. The rear bracket and the front nut on the inside. I somehow lost the outside front latch pic. I'll try again tonight.

Some general pix of the hardtop are on my gallery page.
63 MKII Sprite (SOLD!!)
Herbytoy
948cc

Postby mg freak » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:47 pm

Nic pics! Is the blind nut for the front clamp made of brass? The sidecurtain seals appear similar to what is used to seal the doors to the body, maybe just more rubber to seal the side-screens...

In a previous post I mis-stated my rear brackets as being painted gray. On further examination, the color resembles the Old English White that the hardtop is painted. Can anyone confirm this?
1962 MG Midget
mg freak
948cc

Hardtop Brackets

Postby sprite63 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:50 pm

I've posted the MKII factory hardtop parts page showing the brackets and fittings in the photos section. (sprite63 pics) According to the parts manual the rear bracket bolts are different than those for the MKI top, having a specific AH part # (AHA6249) The bolts on the MKI top are standard pieces part #(HBZ0532) and are zinc plated hex head UNF thread 5/16 bolts 4inches in length. The wing nuts which are chrome are the same for both tops. I picked up a set of original bolts washers and wing nuts for a MKI top on ebay a while back and the washers are not chrome. I believe the washers (both lock washers and plain) are not chrome either. If anyone is interested I have two pairs of the factory chrome wingnuts available. Both are in mint condition.
sprite63
948cc

Postby Herbytoy » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:23 pm

Thanks for posting the hardtop parts page Sprite63. It shows me that I'm missing a few other latch parts. Part #10 and #12 are missing from my top.

Here are some more pix of the front latch. Latch, Latch parts and the front view. The blind nuts are steel. My rear brackets appear to be unpainted although the top appears to have been Old English White originally.

If the wingnuts haven't been spoken for I'm interested in them!
63 MKII Sprite (SOLD!!)
Herbytoy
948cc

Hardtop Parts

Postby sprite63 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:40 pm

The parts manual shows the top as available in Dark Red,Dark Blue,Dark Grey, and Old English White. Part 10 is listed as "washer-seating -clamp. I'm not sure what purpose it serves as it looks like it is installed between the top and the front clamp on the outside. Still have the wingnuts $15 for a pair. PM me if your interested.
sprite63
948cc

Postby mg freak » Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:46 am

One might think item#10 was made of rubber to protect the fiberglass hardtop from the metal clamp? It would be nice to see an "original #10"...
1962 MG Midget
mg freak
948cc

Postby dan » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:27 am

Interesting that they changed the front latching mechanism...wonder why?

It certainly seems the original Bugeye latch was more elegant...maybe because it was on the exterior of the car?

For the MK II, can you "set" the front screw and "forget" (so that it stays in the same position when you use the top by "clipping" it in place when you put the top on) or do you HAVE to unscrew it to take the top off, and then tighten it down again each time?

Seems to be a bit more cumbersome...(then again, perhaps for a Hard Top ease of installation isn't as much of an issue...)

d

BTW - if anyone has pics of the original MK 1 rear mounting bolts and wing nuts I'd love to see them (I'm just using stuff from the local hardware store).
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite
1985 Jaguar XJ6 VDP
dan
Site Admin

Postby Herbytoy » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:44 am

It doesn't appear that you can "set" the screw. It does appear that it has to be screwed in everytime. I guess more owners attached the hardtop for the "winter" ans left in on so easy on/off wasn't a factor.

You do still have to attach the rear with threaded hardware on both MK I and MK II tops. It does use a wingnut though.

I plan to use hardware store hardware for my rear attachement as I'm not going "concours" anyway.
63 MKII Sprite (SOLD!!)
Herbytoy
948cc

hardtop parts

Postby sprite63 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:24 pm

Just posted the factory parts page for the MKI top and a picture of the wingnuts as well.Sprite 63 pics back on page 6 I think. As I said in my earlier post the MKI bolts do not have a special part number like the MKII bolts but since both use the same wingnuts they are UNF thread. The MKI bolts and washers are zinc plated 5/16, hex head and 4inches in length
sprite63
948cc

Next

Return to Hardtops