Judson

Judsons and others

Judson

Postby dan » Mon May 31, 2004 10:14 am

I'm curious as to whether anyone here owns a Judson?

I've been looking for a specification for the float bowl level (I have yet to find a reference for this).

I've picked up quite a bit of literature on these over the years, but tuning and set-up information is quite hard to find (as opposed to installation instructions, which I have been able to source).

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Dan
dan
Site Admin

Judson Carb

Postby sprite63 » Mon May 31, 2004 11:44 am

I had a Judson but sold it a couple of years back. If I recall correctly the carb is a two barrel that was commonly used on a Chevy. Might be a good place to start
sprite63
948cc

Postby dan » Mon May 31, 2004 12:26 pm

It's an old Holley carb...somewhere I have instructions from a rebuild kit (maybe 10 years or so ago I'd rebuilt it).

Trouble was, it had (as I recall) 3 or 4 possible settings for the float level, depending on application (and of course a 948cc Supercharged Bugeye was not one of the listed applications!) :)

What I'm really hoping for is that someone might have an "unmolested" Judson out there, and they could measure the float level as set by the factory....

Probably wishful thinking.

d
Last edited by dan on Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite
1985 Jaguar XJ6 VDP
dan
Site Admin

The Judson Expert

Postby sprite63 » Mon May 31, 2004 6:25 pm

Here is the man.... if anyone can answer your question its George Folchi

GEORGE B. FOLCHI - 58 Merryall Road-New Milford-CT 06776- (860) 355-2807 SPECIALIZING IN JUDSON SUPERCHARGER PARTS AND RESTORATION
sprite63
948cc

Postby dan » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:32 am

Hmmm...wonder if he'd consider joining the SpriteSpot group...sounds like he certainly would be helpful for at least this forum.

Thanks!
d
1985 Jaguar XJ6 VDP
dan
Site Admin

Postby D.Valentino » Sat May 07, 2005 1:40 pm

I have recreated the label for the oiler for a Judson Supercharger...
It's close to the original. If you need a couple, PM me, I'll give you my mailing address, send me a self address stamped envelope, and I'll give you a couple. Don't know how long they will last, great printer, not sure if the glue on the sticker will hold up :?:

Check it out...
1955 BN2 Austin Healey 100M
1959 AN5 Austin Healey Sprite
The Original "Airport Racer"
1951 International Metro Step Van
http://www.1951snapon.blog.com/
D.Valentino
Judson Supercharged

Postby D.Valentino » Tue May 24, 2005 10:13 pm

Dan, Did you get your stickers yet? What did you think?
D.Valentino
Judson Supercharged

Postby dan » Thu May 26, 2005 1:30 pm

Yes I did Dom (THANKS!!)

Meant to drop you a note...very nice! Are you able to get other designs? Is there a minimum order?

I'm wondering if there are other little odd 'n ends that maybe could be remanufactured at a reasonable cost?

d
1985 Jaguar XJ6 VDP
dan
Site Admin

Postby D.Valentino » Thu May 26, 2005 3:29 pm

As long as I have an original or copy to look at, I can pretty much recreate anything. I just do it for when I need something for the car, not trying do it as a business. If anybody here needs something, we can sure try to do what we can.
D.Valentino
Judson Supercharged

Re: Judson

Postby DaveThomas » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:56 am

I'm running a Judson/MM oiler on my 1098cc Bugeye racecar. The Holley is great on the left-handers, but cuts out badly on right-hand corners. We've tried a lot of settngs but the left pivot seems to be the issue. I've just laid out the intake for the adoption of a SU HIF. I've talked to a few T-series guys that also run supercharged cars and they claim that too much carb is just as bad as too little.
DaveThomas
Pit Crew

Postby dan » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:00 am

Dave--

That's EXACTLY what happened to me with my Sprite and Judson the last time I had it on the car (which was probably 15 years ago now :oops: )

At that time (putting on my retrospectoscope) I was running a header (rather than the stock manifold) and had just rebuilt the Holley...

When I took off the Judson, I noticed a dent in the top of the center pipe on the header. After that, I'd returned to the stock exhaust manifold, but never replaced the Judson on the car (one of these days).

Here's my diagnosis though--I think the Judson relies on the stock exhaust manifold--there's that little center screw on the Judson that's adjustable, and it's supposed to rest on the big flat section of the original exhaust header (the part that was originally used to help warm up the carb in cold weather on the A-40 I believe). As you know, the stock manifold is a cast iron, and STRONG. I suspect that that little adjustable screw is pretty important, and takes a lot of the weight of the Judson off the manifold studs.

And because the stock manifold has that "flat top" it's a good place for that screw to rest. If you do NOT have the stock manifold, then you risk a dent in your header (as happened to me) or at the very least a "sloping" surface for that screw to rest upon.

Net result is that in a hard right hand turn, the weight of the Judson without good support MAY tend to pull the whole apparatus down, and cause an air leak at the manifold-head gasket.

At least that's my hypothesis--don't have any "proof" that this is why my car (and yours) cut out on right hand turns, but I suspect it may be the culprit.

SO--if you have a stock exhaust manifold, I'd try that first--pull Judson, put in the stock manifold, reattach the Judson and adjust that center bolt to take the weight. And if that solves your problem let me know, because I'll then be pulling my Judson out of mothballs!!

:D
1985 Jaguar XJ6 VDP
dan
Site Admin

Postby Charlie Tolman » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:26 pm

In the early days of my road-racing a 1963 Sprite with a 1098 engine, the engine would stumble when exiting every right-handed corner, or was it every left-handed corner (?). The tires were very soft slicks, 8" wide, and it was easy to corner and brake with more than 1g of "acceleration".

It was determined that the engine was flooding, with too much fuel being delivered to the engine. With SU carburetors, the hinge(s) for the fuel float(s) was/were oriented in such a position, where the high cornering forces were causing the float to move down, opening the needle valve, and allowing fuel under pressure to enter the carb.

The problem was rectified by rotating, re-positioning, or exchanging the cover for the float bowls, so that the float hinges were at the front of the float bowls. Since forward acceleration was not very large, the float was only minimally affected in this orientation, and the "stumbling when cornering" was eliminated.

It probably is not possible to change the orientation of the float assembly in a Holley carburetor, but it can be done relatively easily with SU carburetors. It might be necessary to use a float bowl cover, or two, from another set of carbs. There are many cover combinations of hinge position vs. bolt locations vs. fuel line connections (single and double).

Charlie Tolman

P.S.: Please see page 11 of the forum's photo section, for a picture of the car at Mid-Ohio.
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Return to Superchargers