floorpan sill gap help

Check in here for expert advice on welding, painting, waxing, etc.

floorpan sill gap help

Postby mikedavies » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:55 am

Hi, Can anyone help. I am restoring my frogeye, I have removed floors, sills and A post from one side and the car is fully supported. On lining up the new sills and taking measurements on this side before fitting anything, it looks as if the distance the sill will protude below the floor will be about 3/4 to 1 inch which seems very large compared to the other side. The car has had extensive repairs over the years and no doubt several sets of sills...also it has had a few accidents and I have had trouble squaring up the frame...as a result I am not sure what size of gap is normal. If anyone cold measure their gap i would be very grateful.
Thanks
Mike (England - 4 miles from where they were all made!)
mikedavies
Pit Crew

Re: floorpan sill gap help

Postby hoggie » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:10 am

I think all the spridgets have similiar sill construction.
Had my 69 midget on a rotisserie so I took a couple of measurements.
The inner sill panel protrudes 5/8 inch past the floor pan and the outer sill panel overlaps and is bent over the inner panel 1/8 inch.
hoggie
1098cc

Postby mikedavies » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:17 pm

Hi thanks for that, mine is going to measure about 1/4" more at juts over 1" in total but at least I will not be too far out. Unfortunatley, I have already welded the inner and outer sills together as it was easier to do on the bench and the natural gap between the bottom of the inner and outer sills is just over a 1/4" so thats partly to blame. thanks again for the prompt reply.
Mike
mikedavies
Pit Crew

Postby hoggie » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:23 pm

As long as the doors line up OK, you should be good.
hoggie
1098cc

Postby wendyssprite » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:45 pm

Hi, Any advice you can give me on this would be appreciated. This is a long deserted project that has been restarted. Inner sills were replace years ago but outer are in the garage. Lower A post also repaired, floor pan just patched. I have the door fitted with a nice gap all the way around, and am now trying to fit the outer sill. It would seem logical that the gap between the bottom of the door and the top of the outer sill should be the same from front to rear but if I do that, the bottom of the outer sill does not line up evenly with the bottom edge of the inner sill (from front to rear) That made me curious when I read that there is a "natural gap between the bottom of the inner and outer sills is just over a 1/4" What does that mean exactly? Suggestion?

Thanks,

John
Victoria BC
Canada
wendyssprite
Pit Crew

Postby hoggie » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:21 pm

The overlap we are talking about is at the bottom edge of the rocker panel where the inner and outer rocket panels are spot welded together. At that point the outer panel overlaps the inner panel about an 1/8 in or more. Then the outer panel edge is slightly bent or rolled over the edge of the inner panel. In another words the lower edges of the inner and outer rocker panels were spot welded at the factory where the outer panel lower edge extends slightly beyond the inner panel edge.
hoggie
1098cc

Return to General Body Repair Topics