Brace Fit

Check in here for expert advice on welding, painting, waxing, etc.

Brace Fit

Postby Will Hirsch » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:45 pm

So, I've replaced the floor pan on the passenger side of my bugeye as well as one half of the front (passenger side) surface of the rear bulkhead and the floor panel reinforcement channel. Now I'm looking at putting in the final reinforcement brace that looks like an oversized L bracket that bolts to the floor and also welds to the rear bulkhead. Now, I'd heard that panel fit wasn't always all that great but so far, I've been pretty lucky. However, that rear reinforcement brace isn't coming close. The holes that are drilled in it are way off. The surface of the brace that should be coming in contact with the floor reinforcement channel also doesn't come close to fitting flush and the angle is too acute. I've tried it on the driver's side where I didn't have to replace the bulkhead and it still is too acute. Should i cut and reweld it so that the angle is at least correct and redrill the holes? Or, should I put the thing in a vice and squeeze the thing until the holes come closer together and fit? Or should I just send the thing back to Moss and ask for a replacement? I guess, if I new it this was typical or not, I'd have a better idea on how to progress. Any thoughts? As always, thanks mightily in advance!
Will Hirsch
Will Hirsch
948cc

Re: Brace Fit

Postby spritenut » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:57 pm

These things are never even close.
I have put a few Bugeyes together from less than a tuna can and those channels were never right.
And it doesn't matter where you get them, they all need to be cut down.
I don't recall redrilling mine but cut both ends so the holes lined up.
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ
The BETTER not BIGGER Healeys
spritenut
1275cc

Re: Brace Fit

Postby Will Hirsch » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:13 pm

Thanks Frank,
I liked your comment about assembling these little cars from a tuna can. I needed a good laugh! I'll be able to say that I've assmebled mine from something resembling a cheese grater, with all the rusted out holes I found in those floor pans. I kind of figured I'd have to do what you suggested but it's good to hear it from someone who really knows. Not exactly sure how I'm going to deal with the misdrilled holes. I've been thinking I'd weld in a couple of metal circles, dress the welds and then redrill them in the correct locations rather than just widening the existing holes. Not sure how I'd widen them anyway. Now, if I was working wood, I'd know exactly what to do, given my line of work, but metal? I guess dremel makes a bit that could do it but it wouldn't be pretty.
Thanks again for the confidence boost.
Will
Will Hirsch
948cc

Return to General Body Repair Topics