Final stuff on floor pans

Check in here for expert advice on welding, painting, waxing, etc.

Final stuff on floor pans

Postby Will Hirsch » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:54 am

So, I've got the new pan welded in and it's certainly a welcome change from the rusted nanky bit of junk I cut out of there but I'm faced with a final (Lord wouldn't it be nice if that were the truth) question. To get the pan off, I cut off the old spring box base plate. The thing's only about 4 by 8 inches and yet it had about ten spot welds through a thickness of layered metal plate closing in on 3/8 of an inch. On top of all those welds, the thing is held on with numerous bolts leaving me wonder what was with all the welds. So how have people welded new base plates back on? Drilled them out and plug weld? Go down to the Rent-all place and rent a ginormous big spot welder? With the bolts holding everything together, is there really a huge need to weld the bejeebers out of it anyway? Thanks folks, especially Trevor, for any and all help in advance!
Will Hirsch
Will Hirsch
948cc

Re: Final stuff on floor pans

Postby trevor » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:04 pm

I'd say the welds are necessary, but I'm not an engineer. The bolts holding the stuff together are not going through fitted holes, so the plate can slide around. I drilled some 7/16" hole and plug welded it back into place. You might wait for some additional perspective on this.
trevor
1275cc

Re: Final stuff on floor pans

Postby Will Hirsch » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:25 pm

Thanks Trevor. I kind of guessed you'd be the man in the know. I've got another question though. When you plug welded the plate in place, did you replicate the placement of the original spot welds surrounding that one central hole or did you go with some other layout?
Thanks!
Will
Will Hirsch
948cc

Return to General Body Repair Topics