66 Sprite with MKII doors

Check in here for expert advice on welding, painting, waxing, etc.

66 Sprite with MKII doors

Postby rob66sprite » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:26 am

I am working on a 66 Sprite but like the look of the doors without door handles. Does anyone know if it would be a direct swap to put MKII doors on a MKIII? I don't have access to many Sprites but have an opportunity to buy a 62 for parts and if the doors are swappable it would seal the deal.
Rob
66 Sprite (work in progress)
www.facebook.com/rob66sprite
rob66sprite
948cc

Re: 66 Sprite with MKII doors

Postby trevor » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:59 am

Not a direct swap. You would have to modify the 66 tub for the latch to work and the profile is different on the top corners. And you would also need to modify your cowl to accept an early style windscreen.
trevor
1275cc

Postby rob66sprite » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:02 am

Thanks for your input. I wanted it to be a direct swap but did not expect it to be. I have not decided to put a top on it and therefore no decision on the windscreen. If I use the original doors my wife can have the option of the windows to alter the wind while driving. I live in Bakersfield CA and it seldom gets cold even less often rains.
I guess now I have to give more thought to the door swap.
Thanks,
Rob
rob66sprite
948cc

Postby Charlie Tolman » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:27 am

A radical alternative:

Remove the door handles, and weld-up the holes in the door. Finish the body-work and re-paint.
Since the doors have roll-up windows, install electrically operated solenoids to operate the door latches, and install hidden switches on the outside of the car.

Charlie T.
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Postby rob66sprite » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:45 am

Its not all that radical, Charlie. I actual considered it when I first decided I liked the earlier doors. I do want the outside smooth and clean. That would involve cutting out that section of the door and putting in a new panel becuase the area the handles mount to are raised. I may not even put a top on it so the door latch would not be needed. The problem is that I like the older and simpler features of the car and the MKII door stands as a symbol of that. :)
Rob
rob66sprite
948cc

Return to General Body Repair Topics