How much is too much?

Check in here for expert advice on welding, painting, waxing, etc.

How much is too much?

Postby badandy61 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:57 pm

I am beginning to wonder just how much rust can realistically be repaired,every panel that comes off reveals two more that need to come off. My little frankensprite has sone of the worst repairs I have ever seen. both back quarters are butchred, all the floor pan is allready out, both front kick panels are bad, the sill frames are virtually nonexistant. how far berore I should just give up?
badandy61
Pit Crew

Re: How much is too much?

Postby Talonaer » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:24 am

The little sprite I am doing up at: sebringsprite.blogspot.com was too much

However, I saw some photos of a post on britishcarforum where the guy took the car apart, split the rear end off and rebuild from the front bulkhead back to the rear bulkhead. Added spring hangers and the "fins" that support the boot. Then reattached the boot section complete.

Its a total pain to get straight without a jig though....

Depends on cost as well, if your in the UK a stage one body shell from Wheeler and Davis is about £3k with VAT.....you can easily get close just on panels.
Talonaer
Pit Crew

Postby badandy61 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:08 am

Here it is two years later, and due to lack of tome and money, I'm still working on my little sprite. I have replaced
the floors, inner and outer sills, both rear quarter lower halfs,
repaired the front valence, front fenders and both doors. If everything goes well, I will spray the car in primer today, I have never sprayed a car before, so this should be interesting. I have been cleaning the body for two day, and after a final wipe down with the tack cloth this morning, I'm going for it. Wish me luck.
badandy61
Pit Crew

Postby hoggie » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:54 pm

best wishes on the painting, although I've painted my car before, its been 20 years and everything has changed relative to the painting materials and recommended steps. What type of finish paint are you going with ?
hoggie
1098cc

Postby badandy61 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:08 pm

I'm using lacquer based paint. Have the primer on and hope to have the wet sanding done so I can shoot some color this weekend.
badandy61
Pit Crew

Postby Jim Gruber » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:55 am

So Andy, how did your paint job come out? Got pics you can post?
Jim Gruber
Dayton, OH
Bugsy - 68 Sprite
Bugeye in Disguise
Jim Gruber
1098cc

Postby badandy61 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:04 pm

Well, I got started used PIECE OF CARDBOARD TO GET A GOOD PATTERN, THEN STARTED SPRAYIN. I didn't get far. the gun started delivering way too much paint on every third or fourth pass. found out the air reg was messed up, so I got quite a few sags before I even realized it was happening. So I've been wet sanding for the last few days. I hope to try again this weekend if work doesn't get in the way.
badandy61
Pit Crew

Return to General Body Repair Topics