Right turn signal does not flash; left is OK; 1978 Midget

Have a Lucas question?

Right turn signal does not flash; left is OK; 1978 Midget

Postby pankeyg » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:51 am

My right turn signal is not blinking. It remains on. The left turn signal is working correctly. I'm new to electrical repair work. I'm asking for advice.
Cheers,
Gary Pankey
pankeyg
Pit Crew

When turn signal remains on.

Postby pankeyg » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:30 pm

I have answered my own posting. The owner's manual says a turn signal that remains on indicates a faulty bulb - front and/or rear. Sure enough, that is the problem. I replaced the front bulb on the side that was having the issue and the turn signal blinks.

Thanks anyway.
Cheers,
Gary Pankey
pankeyg
Pit Crew

turn signal

Postby Gearhead » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:42 pm

See how easy that was wait till Lucas Prince of Darkness strikes again maybe it won't be so easy next time
Gearhead
948cc

Postby HP Spridget #2 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:09 am

When those demons bite...just get one of these....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4554570060

Brad Hollister
HP Spridget #2
Pit Crew

Postby SpriteShmoo » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:58 pm

When I had a problem with the turn signal on my '69 it turned out to be a dirty contact switch. I had to take apart the steeringwheel housing to get to it, but after scratching away the years of accumulated dirt, dust and grime with a screwdriver, the turn signal began working perfectly!

Check out my Sprite in my band's new video:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2oyw7 ... ypsy_music

8)
SpriteShmoo
Pit Crew

Re: Right turn signal does not flash; left is OK; 1978 Midget

Postby barbatus » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:54 am

I thought I was going to go nuts- I traced every wire on my 63' +ive grounded sprite and the right hand side blinker only goes ON solid... the left hand side blinks nicely - QUESTION: could you visually see that the bulb was faulty? I changed the rear one and nothing happened.. I guess it must be the front? I will try that tonight and see how I go - great forum!
barbatus
Pit Crew

Postby admin » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:15 pm

If you have a spare bulb that sounds like the best plan...just go around to each corner of the car and see if a new bulb makes a difference.

It's weird with these cars that sometimes a simple item (like a bulb) can end up with some unexpected symptoms--an old friend once gave me some great advice for these situations--"Common things occur commonly".

So--bulbs burn out, and being the most common failure--that's a great place to start the diagnosis. Good luck, and keep us posted! :)
admin
Site Admin

Postby barbatus » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:51 pm

barbatus wrote:I thought I was going to go nuts- I traced every wire on my 63' +ive grounded sprite and the right hand side blinker only goes ON solid... the left hand side blinks nicely - QUESTION: could you visually see that the bulb was faulty? I changed the rear one and nothing happened.. I guess it must be the front? I will try that tonight and see how I go - great forum!

Bloody hell ! I figured out MY problem... all the bulbs were fine- I even changed them all out and my right side failed to blink but would turn on solidly. I traced all the wires and it drove me nuts for a whole day- I decided to start taking things off until the bulbs would not light up anymore... (this next part might sound STUPID).. I took the lens off the left hand side (working side) and as I was removing the lamp fixture from the body it stooped working- makes sense..the darn thing needs a positive charge (positive grounded car here)... I did the same on the offending side and quickly realized that the light fixture was not grounding right to the body pannel thanks to that new coat of paint on the body !! A couple of rubs and a good ground..... BINGO - all good now

I almost considered replacing the entire wiring on the car....

NEXT: heater fan (mysteriously worked and now dead) - and work out what all those switches on my car ACTUALLY are for...
barbatus
Pit Crew

Postby admin » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:11 pm

Reminds me of some engine troubles long ago...traced down to a bad ground between the engine block and car (that's what the little woven strap is for...) :)

You know when you come down to it these cars are pretty simple, and it's the basics (like a bad ground) that go bad most often. Glad you found the Gremlin.... :)
admin
Site Admin

Return to Electrical