[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
SpriteSpot.com • View topic - Purpose of wire

Purpose of wire

Have a Lucas question?

Purpose of wire

Postby CaptRandy » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:14 pm

1966 Sprite with 1098 cc engine. Negative ground(positive wire goes to the starter solenoid) Found a loose yellow/brown wire that comes from harness hooking to the generator(3 wires two of which hook to the generator). It is hanging. Any idea where it should go? Also should there be a white wire from the tach to the coil? Tach does not work. Tach is a Smiths and marked positive earth but the engine has a negative ground. Could it be that this would cause tach not to work? Do I need a different tach? Everything else seems to work fine. Recent purchase of car is reason for all the questions.
CaptRandy
Pit Crew

Re: Purpose of wire

Postby hoggie » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Sounds like you have an original positive ground chassis that has been converted to negative ground. I think the tachometer has to be modified internally to work. There should be some post involving the changes on this forum or at mgexperience.

Here is a link where the tach conversion is discussed.

hoggie
1098cc

Postby Charlie Tolman » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:18 am

The brown-yellow wire should connect to terminal D on the generator (dynamo), and also to terminal D on the voltage regulator (control box).
After the regulator, it continues to the ignition warning light on the tachometer.

Charlie T.
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Postby CaptRandy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:51 am

It was a positive ground that has been converted. Not sure if anyone ever did anything with the tach, just bought car and finding what is needed. The red light at bottom of tach does not light mainly because the bulb socket is not inserted nor has it a bulb installed. I will look at that as well. Should the red light at top of dash by the ww washer light up all time or just to start engine? Am confused by book on what purpose of that light is.
There is one yellow brown on the gen now but I will see how the other yellow/brown will connect to regulator. Thank you for the replies.
CaptRandy
Pit Crew

Postby Charlie Tolman » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:51 pm

The brown-yellow wire (code NY on a wiring diagram) starts at terminal D on the generator, and the other end of the wire connects to terminal D on the regulator.

Another brown-yellow wire from terminal D on the regulator goes to the ignition warning light on the tachometer.

CT
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Postby CaptRandy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:22 pm

Charlie, does it matter which side of coil?
CaptRandy
Pit Crew

Postby Charlie Tolman » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:25 am

CR:
Sorry, but I do not understand your question.
Are you referring to the tachometer wire to/from the high voltage coil ?

CT
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Postby CaptRandy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:58 am

Charlie, I was talking about the second yellow/brown wire coming out the harness by the gen rear. One yellow/brown goes to the back of gen and the second one is hanging loose.
CaptRandy
Pit Crew

Postby Charlie Tolman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:27 am

Note: One of the two brown-yellow wires connected to terminal D on the regulator, goes to the ignition warning light, which is located in either the speedometer or the tachometer, depending on the year of the car.

The shop manual wiring diagrams show one brown-yellow wire connected to terminal D of the generator. The other end of this wire is routed and connected to terminal D on the regulator.

In your car, there appears to be one yellow-brown wire connected to terminal D of the generator. The other end of this wire connects to what component on the car ??

There is a remote possibility that two yellow-brown wires might be connected to terminal D on the generator. The other ends of these two wires: one end would go to terminal D on the regulator, and the second end would go to the ignition warning light on the speedometer or tachometer?

Charlie T.
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Postby CaptRandy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:41 am

Ok, now that makes sense. I will attempt to find which does not work and then hook the wire up to see if it will work. The one problem is that the wire is not long enough to go far. The tag end is about 8" long and hangs just below the coil mounting. Thanks for the help. The ignition warning light is in the tach but at the present time does not have a bulb in it so I will test it with a test light to see if that is the culprit.

Put power to the wire and the oil sensor light over the temp gauge lit with key on engine off. Where would I find the oil sensor on the block? Or around the oil filter?

It appears there is a new bolt on oil filter that has a spin on filter. Could it be that this was replaced and had no place to attach the sender wire?
CaptRandy
Pit Crew

Postby Charlie Tolman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:35 am

Regarding the oil pressure switch, it appears that your car has the 1500 cc engine.
The location of this switch might be below the oil filter.
I am not familiar with this engine, and hopefully, another reader of this forum can assist you.

Charlie T.
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Postby Charlie Tolman » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:51 am

Oops ! I might be wrong about the 1500 engine.
There also is a "lubrication warning light" (oil pressure light) on the
wiring diagram for a Mk. III and a Mk. IV Sprite, in addition to
an "oil filter switch", which would be a low oil pressure switch.

I am not sure about the location of the oil pressure switch.
My 948 and 1098 engines did not have this switch, until I fabricated an
adapter that was located on the block for an AN-10 flexible oil line
that was the return from a remote oil cooler. The oil filter was also
remotely located, and was not on the engine.

Charlie T.
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Postby CaptRandy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:54 am

Thanks Charlie, I will keep looking for one as I go over the engine. The add on spin on filter is a Purolator product that uses a PH 3816 filter. Have not been able to locate a Purolator model number. That number might be of interest to other members if they do not like oil running down their forearm.
CaptRandy
Pit Crew

Postby Charlie Tolman » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:09 am

Fram PH-3614
Purolator L-10241
Pennzoil PZ-21
Quaker QS-3614
Havoline T-29
Valvoline VO-25
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Postby CaptRandy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:12 am

Thanks for those numbers now I do not have to rely on just one and hope it is in stock.
CaptRandy
Pit Crew

Return to Electrical