complete electrical failure on frogeye

Have a Lucas question?

complete electrical failure on frogeye

Postby mattmh » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:52 am

All electrics on my frogeye have suddenly stopped working. It is negative earth. It was working. I cannot get horn, lights or starter motor to operate. I have checked all fuses, all connections including the battery and checked the battery itself. I have also checked there is power getting from the battery pos to the ignition/light switch. Has anybody got a suggestion(s) ??
mattmh
Pit Crew

Re: complete electrical failure on frogeye

Postby peter an5l » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:21 pm

How many cables run from the batterie ? Two big ones for + and - and one small ?
cheers
Piet
peter an5l
1098cc

Re: complete electrical failure on frogeye

Postby Charlie Tolman » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:24 am

Remove both large cable connections to the battery, the negative one first (negative ground). Do not re-connect at this time.

Remove and clean the cable connections at the other end of these cables. Re-connect

Remove and clean the engine to chassis ground connection. My '63 connection was located under the car, from the "frame" to the clutch slave cylinder mounting stud. Re-connect.

Clean the ends of the cables that connect to the battery, and also clean the battery posts.
Re-connect the cables to the battery, the positive one first.

Charlie T.

Before the above steps, try connecting another battery with jumper cables, directly to the cable clamps at the car's battery.
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Return to Electrical