Coil Question

Have a Lucas question?

Coil Question

Postby Chuck Eye » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:16 pm

I have an early Lucas Coil (with the 'SW' and 'CB' terminals, 'SW' going to the white wire), and the orange/red cap for the high-tension terminal is broken. I found this after un-winding some old electrical tape at the center of the coil, which was suspect for why my car won't start (I get the sound of a sickly cough that dies). When I unwrapped the broken cap, I also found that there was nothing left at the end of the high-tension wire but a rusted washer and a bunch of corrosion.

My question is: How does the end of the high-tension wire connect inside the coil housing (and is it supposed to contact there?!)...? I noticed a rusty screw at the coil center, which I was able to loosen, and I assumed that the wire could be retained by this screw. The way this wire was 'terminated', with a bunch of corrosion and a rusty washer), I can't tell how/if it is supposed to touch or be connected to the center terminal. I tried to force the wire to make contact with the screw, by taping it down with electrical tape like the previous owner, but I still get that sickly start sound and no start.

In the Workshop Manual, there is a diagram of what appears to be the in-tact cap, and the end of the high-tension wire (I think). It looks like a washer is supposed to surround the wires exiting the cable. What is not shown is whether this end would contact the central screw inside the coil, or whether the wire ends up suspended inside the coil housing. I was thinking I could just loosen the coil screw and use it to clamp down the high-tension wire end, but that might be a bad idea (I think there's some kind of oil in the coil, and I wouldn't want to spark inside with the oil, right?).

I'm not familiar with how a 'good' coil connection is supposed to look for the high-tension wire...can anyone help me...? Do I just try and find a Lucas terminal cap...? Thanks!!
'61 Sprite MkII - HAN6L3659
Chuck Eye
Pit Crew

Re: Coil Question

Postby Chuck Eye » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:43 pm

Posted a pic. of the wire:

http://www.spritespot.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=1961-Sprite-MkII&id=IMGP7766

There are 2 others of the whole car...looks much better than that ragged wire...!! :D
'61 Sprite MkII - HAN6L3659
Chuck Eye
Pit Crew

Postby Charlie Tolman » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:23 am

I had a Lucas Sport coil on my Sprite, and the high voltage wire/cable had a brass(?) washer soldered to its center metal conductor. The coil had a screw-in plastic(?) connector to hold the wire in-place.

The wire end, or washer, should touch the center electrode of the coil inside its tower; there should not be a gap.

Clean the rust and/or corrosion from the center electrode of the coil. I do not know if there is an internal connection problem due to your loosening of the central screw. This screw should not be used to attach the high voltage wire.

Use a new high voltage wire from the coil to the distributor, or shorten the old one slightly to remove the corroded end. It is okay to tape it in position to the coil tower for testing purposes.

Run one of the spark plug wires to a new spark plug, which is placed on the engine somewhere for an electrical ground. Is there a spark at the external plug when the engine is cranked over ?

If not, check the condition and gap of the distributor points. Check the electrical continuity of all of the high voltage wires. With all of the wires connected, check the spark timing while cranking the engine. Also, try a different coil.

Charlie Tolman
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Postby Charlie Tolman » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:34 am

P. S. :

Remove the spark plugs and look at their condition.

C. T.
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Return to Electrical