GROUND QUESTION

Have a Lucas question?

GROUND QUESTION

Postby Jim Duffey » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:53 pm

I am rebuilding my Bugeye completely. It will soon begin to go back together. Is there an advantage to changing to negative ground? I do not anticipate installing a radio. However, I am planning to use the LED light boards I saw in Hemmings for the tailights to maximize my visibility and I need to decide on positive or negative ground.Thank you for your input.
Jim Duffey
948cc

Re: GROUND QUESTION

Postby Frogarri » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:23 pm

If the LED lights are the only 'enhancement' you plan on doing they should work with the original positive ground. They will not draw as much current as the conventional bulbs and/or the headlights. You will only have to remember to reverse the hookup, i.e., the + feed will be the body and they ground will be the wire.
Frogarri
'59 Bugeye 'Kermit'
'61 AH Sprite 'Ole Gray' in "The Healey Book"
http://sprites2.homestead.com/
Frogarri
1098cc

Postby admin » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:27 am

Interesting...one thing I'm working on is a relationship with an LED manufacturer to put together a "kit" of all the necessary lights to convert a spridget to LED (and have that available on SpriteSpot).

Also seeing if they can do a positive ground kit.

:D

The "tricky" part is the stop lights--the bulb rests sideways, so the LED will need a bit different configuration.

(Stay tuned--I hope to have the LED kits available sometime in 2010)
admin
Site Admin

Postby Jim Duffey » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:46 pm

I have not installed these lights yet bu have assemble them. The fit is excelent. I bought them for my MGB as well and will soon install. Will report my findings.
Jim Duffey
948cc

Postby Jim Duffey » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:02 pm

sorry for the consonant deletions.
Jim Duffey
948cc

Postby Asolepius » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:04 am

Any follow up guys on the LED matter? I would like to use them for front sidelights but can't find any to fit. I have already modified the fittings so that I have amber indicator bulbs and small white sidelight bulbs, within the original light fitting. I would like to change the sidelight bulbs for LEDs if available.
Les Rose, Salisbury, UK
1959 Sprite, owned since 1978
Asolepius
1098cc

Return to Electrical