Blinker warning light problem

Have a Lucas question?

Blinker warning light problem

Postby davidlow » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:14 am

I am having trouble with my blinking warning light. When I connect the light to the switch I can get the blinkers to work OK and the warnig light also works. However when I turn the blinker switch off the warning light stays on , but does not blink.
I tried wiring the light straight to the blinker unit with the same result.
It there a short somewhere or is the blinked unit faulty? Or something else.

Cheers
David Low
davidlow
Pit Crew

Re: Blinker warning light problem

Postby admin » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:05 pm

Hmmm...sounds like something is definitely succumbing to the gremlins.

What I usually start with in these instances is substitution--see if you have some spare switches that can be exchanged for what you have now--it may solve the issue.

If not, then you're left with chasing down wires and connections with a volt meter.

However, I've also had success with a long test wire and alligator clips--I use this to bypass each wire in a circuit and see if the problem goes away. If your bypass wire solves the problem, you now know which wire is the culprit. You can then chase down the short (or just string a new wire--often an easier solution if you're not too concerned about looks).

Hope this helps!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Blinker warning light problem

Postby Charlie Tolman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:56 pm

According to wiring diagrams, if your car is a Sprite I, then the light green wire to the flasher warning light comes from connection P on the flasher unit.

If your car is a Sprite II or Midget I, then the light green and purple wire to the flasher light comes from connection #1 on the light switch. There appears to be a resistor between connections #1 and #2 in the light switch, and the light green wire on connection #2 comes from connection P on the flasher unit.

Possibilities: Defective flasher unit ?? LIght switch problems ??

Charlie Tolman
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Return to Electrical