no brake lights or turn signals..

Have a Lucas question?

no brake lights or turn signals..

Postby bfleissner » Fri May 23, 2008 1:18 pm

Hello,

Newbie here. Hopefully someone will be able to offer a little insight or direction for me to go in.

We've had our '67 Sprite hybrid (a term we found on the internet) for about 8 months. It's a '67 everywhere, except for the '59 Bugeye hood. It sat all winter and runs and starts fine, but when we took it out last week, we had no turn signals or brake lights.

The tail lights and head lights work fine.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Brett -
1967 Sprite Hybrid
bfleissner
Pit Crew

Re: no brake lights or turn signals..

Postby JP Furble » Fri May 23, 2008 1:26 pm

Brett,

Most likely corroded ground (earth) connections. Very common with LBC's, especially after sitting idle for a while in moist climates. Can be frustrating, but you'll just have to chase each one down until you find the bad connection.

Good luck,
JPF
JP Furble
948cc

Postby bfleissner » Fri May 23, 2008 1:30 pm

JFP,

Thank, that was amazingly fast. Is there any connection between all these lights or did they all just corrode at the same time? Am I looking for a common point of failure?

thanks again.
Brett -
1967 Sprite Hybrid
bfleissner
Pit Crew

Postby JP Furble » Tue May 27, 2008 9:53 am

Brett,

I don't believe there is a connection between these two systems. However, since both brake lights are not working it could be that you have a corroded connection at the brake light pressure switch. I don't know that much about the later models, but on my BE the pressure switch is mounted on the passenger side inner fender. For the turn signals I would start with the flasher unit connections and work out from there. Could also be a bad flasher unit too I suppose. I don't know if there is a procedure to test it...maybe someone else on this board may be able to tell you.

JPF
JP Furble
948cc

Postby bfleissner » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:55 pm

And thank you. Turns out the brake lights and turn signals share the same fuse. It wasn't blown, but when I put it to a continuity test, it failed. And $1.68 later I have brakes and turn signals. :mrgreen:
Brett -
1967 Sprite Hybrid
bfleissner
Pit Crew

Return to Electrical