[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
SpriteSpot.com • View topic - Spark Plugs - what rating to use?

Spark Plugs - what rating to use?

Have a Lucas question?

Spark Plugs - what rating to use?

Postby admin » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:55 pm

Ok folks, something I should know but don't (or don't remember) :oops:

My 948 Sprite started running poorly...swapped out with new plugs from the basement and ran great--so it's the plugs.

BUT

Originally I know N-5 was the spec (and I have a new box in the basement, but I'm a bit unwilling to use those as they're a bit hard to come by).

The car had RN9YCs in it

I have a (new) box of RN11YCs in the basement (that got the car running right).

If you go to Champion's website they don't have "Austin-Healey" listed(!)

For shame!

However, MG Midgets and Austin Mini was available...

So under "MG" we have:
a 62 Midget (which is a 948) lists RN12YC
a 65 Midget (1098) lists RN12YC
a 67 Midget (1275) lists RN9YC

To confuse things more, under "Austin" we have:
a 60 Mini (948) lists RN9YC
a 62 Healey Sprite (948) lists RN12YC (this is the first year listed for the Sprites...guess Champion doesn't like Bugeyes)
a 65 Healey Sprite (1098) lists RN12YC
a 67 Mini (1275) lists RN9YC
a 67 Healey Sprite (1275) lists RN12YC

So depending on what listing you want to believe, if you have:

948 - RN9YC or RN12YC
1098 - RN12YC
1275 - RN9YC or RN12YC

And here I sit with an NOS box of RN11YCs

So--what's the opinion? 9s 12s 11s or something else?

Also--my old mind can't remember if an 11 is "hotter" or "colder" than a 12...and is that just the difference between the designations? (Or is it something else like the length of the plug, or the initial gap that's set at the factory, or??)

Any opinions out there? (Maybe I'll compile the responses and put together a plug chart for the site...)

Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Postby spritenut » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:25 pm

I can't help with Champion plugs but NGK BP6ES or BPR6ES will work in all Sprites with stock engines. 948s, 1098s, and 1275s.
I stopped using Champion plugs as a 17 year old kid when I asked for Champs at the parts counter and the man behind the counter said good choice, the use Champion Spark plugs in the 1/4 mile.
But then a guy behind me at the counter said yup, they use Champs in the 1/4 mile but they change the plugs after every race.
Do the math. He recommended NGKs and I have been using them ever since 1972.
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ
The BETTER not BIGGER Healeys
spritenut
1275cc

Postby clark » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:14 pm

Champion spark plugs are chrome plated when you put them in. They are not if you take them out after running them a short while. Maybe it's a bit extreme, but I don't like that.
clark
Pit Crew

Postby HAN5L778 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:04 am

I've used Champions since the 70's, when I would get a free box of them from the factory for my race Sprite. I use RN9YC in my modified 1275.
Rick
'69 Sprite-project with lots of trick parts.
'63 MGB waiting for restoration
HAN5L778
1098cc

Postby Charlie Tolman » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:36 am

With Champion spark plugs, the larger the number, the hotter the plug.
Just the opposite for NGK spark plugs.

If I remember correctly, in the Champion numbering system, R is for a Resistor spark plug, Y is for an extended tip, and C is for an internal Copper conductor.

Charlie Tolman
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Postby enfoprefect » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:59 pm

enfoprefect
Pit Crew

Postby clark » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:09 am

clark
Pit Crew

Postby admin » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:13 pm

Too funny...we should move this to the "humor" forum!

:D
admin
Site Admin

Return to Electrical