Voltage Stabilizer Problems

Have a Lucas question?

Voltage Stabilizer Problems

Postby jrm1963 » Tue May 01, 2007 3:45 pm

My fuel gage was reading too low, and when I checked the output voltage of the voltage stabilizer and found it to be approximately 4.6 VDC. So, I ordered a new solid state unit. But after installing it, I have the same output to my fuel gage. Next I checked the input voltage and found it be 12 VDC (not running), unless it was plugged into the stabilizer. When plugged in, the voltage at the spade was approximately 5.6 VDC. What's going on here?
jrm1963
Pit Crew

Postby middleagecrazy » Sun May 20, 2007 9:37 pm

The Voltage stabilizer bleeds off to ground to give it the reduced voltage. I just finish building a solid state unit for my dads Triumph and I found that the recommended resitors were not correct. The objective is 10 volt DC. The Adjust resistor is by default a 240 Ohm which is R1 the R2 resistor is the one that is added to the load to ground and is changed based on the amount of voltage drop needed. The Algebra calclated to a 640 Ohm resistor but I found that it only output 4.6 VDC. I found that the resitor that I needed for a 10 VDC output was a .3 M Ohm resistor. However that did not give the correct results. I still will have to determine a resiator value that will go in the sending unit curcuit that will correct the gauge reading.

Now that I have confused you.
Did you get the problem worked out?
Anthony
middleagecrazy
948cc

Return to Electrical