turn signal flasher

Have a Lucas question?

turn signal flasher

Postby mrsprite » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:02 pm

OK.....when I bought my Bugeye last July, the dash flasher worked fine (green light on dash). I bought it in southern California and drove it home to Colorado.....on the way home I got caught in a torrential rain storm in Utah. Before I could even stop the car to get the roof on I (and the car) was soaked. The light on the dash hasn't worked since. I assumed I blew the bulb, but never looked into it.

Flash forward to a month or so ago. I had to replace the turn signal switch since the old one broke. I had issues getting my turn signals to work properly and wound up replacing all the bulbs and flashers (it seemed I had some wires mixed up on the signal unit....it works great now). I bought a new bulb for the turn signal on the dash and it still didn't work. I figured the wire and/or socket got messed up, so today I removed them both to get a better look.

I attached one end of the wire to the positive lead on the battery and grounded the socket and the light comes on. Hmmm. So it seems that the bulb, wiring and socket are all good, so why doesn't the light flash on the dash?

I reattached everything and bought one of those cheap continuity testers. It seems that I am not getting any current from the flasher unit. It works, in that it clicks when the turn signal switch is activated and the lights signal as they should. However, no current is getting to the wire that supplies the dash bulb with juice. So, is my brand new flasher defective or do I have the wrong type of flasher?

My question is this......what is the correct flasher unit for a Bugeye? Does it make sense that the flasher unit is to blame for the dash light not working? Anyone have a schematic of the flasher unit that shows which prongs go to which wires?

I'm guessing that the flasher unit is the wrong one, but I want to make sure before I start spending more money.

Thanks!
mrsprite
948cc

Postby mrsprite » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:11 pm

Well.....after all that, nevermind! :)

It was a combination of things (isn't that always the case?). It seems the new flasher I bought was defective, but that wasn't the only problem. It also wasn't getting a good connection where the socket attaches to the dash, so there was a bad ground as well.
mrsprite
948cc

Return to Electrical