[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
SpriteSpot.com • View topic - turn signal problem

turn signal problem

Have a Lucas question?

turn signal problem

Postby mrsprite » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:47 pm

A couple of months ago, my turn signal switch on the dash broke (one of the springs snapped). I finally got around to buying a new switch and when I plugged it in the right side worked great, but the left not at all. I switched the wires around to make sure it wasn't a bad switch, but in all configurations, the right side blinks and the left side doesn't.

I even changed out all of the bulbs and still nothing. Everything else works.....headlights, parking lights, taillights, etc. The only thing not working are the left turn signals. I am at my wits end.....what am I missing? Before the switch broke it worked just fine. What would cause the left side to not function? Aren't they on the same circuit? Could the relay be faulty?

If it were a wiring issue, wouldn't it also affect the right side? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
mrsprite
948cc

Postby Frogarri » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:39 pm

Most likely a bad ground at either the front or rear turnsignal lights. The left and right blinker circuits are totally seperate so one can work and not the other. Could be a bad bullet connection (trace the Green/red wire) from the switch forward and back. Could be a bad flasher unit.
Frogarri
'59 Bugeye 'Kermit'
'61 AH Sprite 'Ole Gray' in "The Healey Book"
http://sprites2.homestead.com/
Frogarri
1098cc

Postby mrsprite » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:18 pm

Thanks.....I did check out the wiring as best I could. I couldn't find any ground issues (doesn't mean that there isn't one). I am leaning towards the flasher/relay unit as the culprit. We'll see what happens after I replace it.
mrsprite
948cc

Postby JP Furble » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:57 pm

Remote possibility (but still possible) is a bad switch. If you have a multi-meter check the continuity thru the new switch when you switch it from side to side.

JPF
JP Furble
948cc

Postby mrsprite » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:36 am

mrsprite
948cc

Postby Charlie Tolman » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:37 am

Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Postby mrsprite » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:00 am

mrsprite
948cc

Postby Bill Masquelier » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:38 pm

69 Sprite MkIV
Bill Masquelier
1098cc

Postby mrsprite » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:18 am

I just wanted to update this thread.....I figured out the problem and now have working turn signals! I am almost too embarrassed to say what the problem was.....it was one of those D'oh! moments. I had somehow gotten the wires mixed up to the turn switch and was only getting power to the right side. In my defense, the wiring was a little confusing.....all the same color (not factory wiring....was redone by previous owner). Oh well.....at least it works! :)

Now for another stupid question....the green blinker on the dash uses a very small bulb. Way back in July (when I bought the car) I was caught in a sudden downburst in the middle of Utah and by the time I got stopped and the top up everything was soaking wet. The flasher quit working after that and when I removed the bulb to get a match, I couldn't find any numbers on it. When I brought it to the parts store the guy dropped it and it shattered. OK, long story short....what bulb do I need to make it flash again?? Thanks.
mrsprite
948cc

Return to Electrical