[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
SpriteSpot.com • View topic - Ignition Coil

Ignition Coil

Have a Lucas question?

Ignition Coil

Postby Theycallmeford » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:20 pm

New:
coil, points, condensor, battery, plugs, wires, rotor, and cap

everything wired correctly

engine runs for short periods of time now, but misses and does not rev properly, coil gets hot quick,

I think the coil is getting hot because there is no ceramic resistor wired up. Is this assumption correct or should I look into something else?

Also, with the pertronix ignition would I even need the resistor, or is it basically stand alone sytem?

Thanks guys and gals,

Jason
Theycallmeford
948cc

Postby spritenut » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:49 pm

Is the new coil a "resitor" type coil? It will say so on it. If so you need the resistor or you will fry the points.
But you mentioned a Petronix, maybe that is the problem. I fried 3 of them before I gave up on them. One lasted almost all day.
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ
The BETTER not BIGGER Healeys
spritenut
1275cc

Postby Theycallmeford » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:38 pm

No, I meant if I were to use the petronix system, what would I have to change.

I'm running a regular ignition system right now and the coil is the standard that came on the car stock. I'll have to look next time I work on it.
Theycallmeford
948cc

Postby chris parola » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:02 am

Check that the primary to the coil polarity is correct if its backward it would run.... pooorly get hot then quit. cool off start again. May also need a resistot as priously quoted.
Chris
60" sprite
Drive it like I stole it........
chris parola
Pit Crew

Postby Theycallmeford » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:56 pm

Will you please reiterate what you are saying?

"the primary to the coil polarity"

and what would be backwards...

are you saying I could have the polarity on the coil reversed?
I have a positive ground car, and the switch wire and fuel pump wires are connected to the negative side of the coil; the positive side leads to the distributor.
Theycallmeford
948cc

Postby Charlie Tolman » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:15 am

Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Postby Theycallmeford » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:49 am

Theycallmeford
948cc

Postby Charlie Tolman » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:22 am

Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Return to Electrical