[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
SpriteSpot.com • View topic - Aux. Power Outlet

Aux. Power Outlet

Have a Lucas question?

Aux. Power Outlet

Postby JP Furble » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:01 am

My Bugeye has been upgraded to negative ground and an alternator. I am in the process of building my own version of the "lockable boot" bulkhead behind the seats (the ones for sale on eBay have been a topic of discussion on this forum recently). One of the things I'm doing is installing a light fixture on the backside of the bulkhead so that I don't need to carry around a flashlight to see what's back there. Wiring thelight fixture is no big deal. Then I got the bright idea that a 12v power outlet (primarilly for recharging the cell phone) might be a nice addition to the bulkhead.

I have the outlet fixture but am not sure how to wire it. It would seem obvious to me that the body of the power fixture should be grounded to the chassis and therefore a black wire, while the center post should be a white wire (positive). However, the unit came with a length of white wire attached to the fixture body and nothing attached to the center post.

I'd hate to wire this thing up backwards and fry my cell phone the first time I plugged it in. Can anybody give me some guidance?

JPF
JP Furble
948cc

Postby admin » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:09 am

It should be ground to the outside, and power to the center post...easy way to tell for sure is to take a voltmeter to the Honda (or whatever) in your driveway and test your "modern" car...but it should be ground to the body and power to the internal post.

How 'bout some photos of your project? Been thinking of doing one myself after seeing that thing on ebay...love to see what you've come up with.

d
admin
Site Admin

Postby JP Furble » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:46 pm

JP Furble
948cc

Return to Electrical