[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
SpriteSpot.com • View topic - Horn push problem

Horn push problem

Have a Lucas question?

Horn push problem

Postby sumr68 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:52 pm

The horn push on my Bugeye will not stay in place even though I have tried different spring clips/screws and building up the steering wheel centre to get a tighter fit. It seems that the pressure from the contact (spring loaded ) forces the horn push to pop out at the first bump.Anyone had this problem or some thought`s as it`s always nice to have a horn even if it`s a bugeye horn when your that small on the road
1959 Bugeye Sprite
sumr68
Pit Crew

Postby spritenut » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:26 pm

You probably have the wrong horn spring contact. Later Midgets used the same thing only it was about 1/2" longer.
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ
The BETTER not BIGGER Healeys
spritenut
1275cc

Postby sumr68 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:53 pm

Thank`s for the response. I checked the Moss catalogue and it only show`s one for the item ( which I am using ) and the AH spares web site show`s the same item. Can you tell me what the lenght of the correct one /the later contact is so Ican check it against the one in the car and see if that`s my problem. Thank`s.
Shaun.
1959 Bugeye Sprite
sumr68
Pit Crew

Postby D.Valentino » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:59 pm

Did you paint your steering wheel? I found that when I got my steering wheel back the horn push would not stay on, until I filed out the notch. Also I made a plastic washer for between the wheel and the steering colum.
1955 BN2 Austin Healey 100M
1959 AN5 Austin Healey Sprite
The Original "Airport Racer"
1951 International Metro Step Van
http://www.1951snapon.blog.com/
D.Valentino
Judson Supercharged

Postby UncleDoug » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:01 pm

In my resto of the steering wheel, I rebuilt the inside of the wheel where
the horn push clips "bite" with some epoxy. That helped, but didn't eliminate the popping horn push syndrome. As Spritenut said, that pesky spring loaded contact was my next focus. I bought one from Moss, but had to shorten it. It never was really right.
My latest contact is homemade, and I have better horn performance
than before. The wire I used is the braided copper wire designed to pick up solder. Very maleable. The spring is from a ballpoint pen.
About three years use, and, so far , so good.
UncleDoug
948cc

Postby sumr68 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:54 pm

Thank`s for the suggestion`s guys. I built up thesides of the hub as well and it didn`t solve the problem either. When I get the car back from the paint shop I will try both of your suggestion`s .Uncle Doug did you keep the Moss brass contact or replace it and is there a specific place to buy the braided wire?
1959 Bugeye Sprite
sumr68
Pit Crew

Postby UncleDoug » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:13 pm

Hey, Sumr68,
Actually, I trashed the whole works, and started from scratch. I got a piece of aluminum tubing, skinny enough to slide down the contact hole, but with an inside diameter big enough for a ball point pen spring. I did insulate the tube with heat shrink tubing outside. Fot the contacts, I used 2 flat head machine screws that could be threaded into the spring. (size #6?) I also filed the screw head diameter to a size that would also fit down the hole. Now that I think of it, I simply screwed the ends into the spring while it was inside the tube. (stretch it out a little).
The spring is sufficient electrical connection. It has never unscrewed, and, as I said before, it outperforms and has outlasted the ones I bought.

necessity is the Mother of invention.
:idea:
UncleDoug
948cc

Postby sumr68 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:15 pm

Hi Uncle Doug
You know what they say about the best solution`s being the simplest.Sound`s like a practical solution and help`s the balance of payment`s problem`s ( no imported junk needed). I will try it and from the sound`s of it you should patent it and save a lot of B-eye driver`s a whole bunch of frustation.
Thank`s
1959 Bugeye Sprite
sumr68
Pit Crew

Return to Electrical