HELP!!!! DOUBLE BEARING HUB INSTALLATION

Got a pumpkin problem? Want to change gear ratios? This is where to go.

HELP!!!! DOUBLE BEARING HUB INSTALLATION

Postby styz » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:51 pm

I decided to purchase the Winners Circle double bearing rear hubs for my Bugeye vintage racer. After a few hours in the shop this weekend it looks like I will be holding on the installation until I get some Sage wisdom from other Spridget owners who may have completed the same swap.

I am very impressed with the hub design. However, I am a little concerned about the installation. I am using late Midget rear brakes. I removed the flange and installed the back plate with the button head fasteners.

The instructions address a lower spring change for clearance. I did a quick fit check and it looks like there is no clearance for the upper return spring and the handbrake mechanism.

I also noticed that the inner bearing did not fit the axle interface. I measured both the axle outer diameter and the bearing inner diameter. It looks to be more then a press fit. The bearings are an unknown brand - NOVA Precision Bearings of India Model# XLS 1 3/4 so I could not verify dimensions on the net.

I would appreciate any assistance and wisdom. Hopefully I can complete the installation before the Polish Mountain Hillclimb the first weekend in August.
Tom Styczynski
#38 Black Bugeye
styz
Pit Crew

Re: HELP!!!! DOUBLE BEARING HUB INSTALLATION

Postby Joe Schlosser » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:20 pm

Try posting over onthe production forum.
http://prodracing.com/prodcar/
There are many people overthere who have a lot of experience with the DB hubs.
1 3/4 is the correct bearing ID. It should be a tight but not be a "press fit.
You should have also invested inthe speedi sleeves from WC to keep the inner seal from leaking. Either way the surface needs to be very very smooth or all the oil leaks out.

If this is a recer why do you have a hand brake??
Joe
NESCCA FP 48 (Retired)
1960 Bugeye
Joe Schlosser
948cc

Re: HELP!!!! DOUBLE BEARING HUB INSTALLATION

Postby styz » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:18 pm

Joe,

Thanks for the recommendation. I will post to your recommended site.

I realize the inner bearing ID should be tight but this was more then a force fit. I miked the interface and it is round plus clean. I was going to look on SKF bearing site to find the proper fit.

I run in the Pennsylvania Hillclimb Association (http://www.pahillclimb.org/)vintage class. I need the handbrake because staging is often on a slope.

Thanks again for the tip.
Tom Styczynski
#38 Black Bugeye
styz
Pit Crew

Return to Differential / Rear Axle