Axle Whine

Got a pumpkin problem? Want to change gear ratios? This is where to go.

Axle Whine

Postby dan » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:50 pm

Just a general question:

Had a halfshaft let go a while back, and to make a long story short, ended up putting in a spare differential as well as a new halfshaft (had to clean out the pumpkin case)

Anyway, the car now has more "whine" in the back than it used to.

I also recall a friend's MK III that had a TON of axle whine. He put in a different gear cluster as well, but it didn't change.

What's the cause of this? Is there anything I can do (short of putting in another gear cluster)?

I'm running 80 weight hypoid oil...
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite
1985 Jaguar XJ6 VDP
dan
Site Admin

Postby JB » Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:38 pm

Dan...

you need to have some cheese with that whine!!

Seriously....... :lol:

if its a whine on coast and acceleration it might be a bo ring and pinion. If the outer edge of the ring gear teeth are sharp its dead.

Possibly could be a pinion bearing....if louder on accel than coast.

What usually happens is over the last century the diff lube never got checked.....leaked out and run dry...then guess what?
JB
948cc

Postby HP Spridget #53 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:58 am

JB wrote:Dan...

What usually happens is over the last century the diff lube never got checked.....leaked out and run dry...then guess what?

That's exactly what I found on the '72 I picked up this summer! I don't think more than five tablespoons of sludge, er, lube came out when I drained the rear! Quieted down by a bunch with proper lube installed!

However I still have a whine from the rear of the car. Please see my separate post regarding rear hubs.

Tim
Tim Hollister
HolliTech Team Racing
Waterford, MI
HP Spridget #53
948cc

Postby spritenut » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:28 pm

For a temporary fix to a whiney rear end, I have put in some cedar saw dust.
Yeah yeah, that and bannana peels in the sump ;)
Seriously, unless you know how to rebuild a diff or can pay some one to do it, saw dust cuts down the noise.
Cedar, teak, and redwood are all high in natural oils, use only one of these to make saw dust as it will mix with the gear oil. It is also a soft wood and will not cause anymore damage to your already worn out diff.
A cup or so should do it.
Don't even think about this on a perfectly good diff but if the noise gets to you and it's much worse with the top up, and you just don't feel like spending big bucks for a new ring and pinion, stuff it with saw dust.
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ
The BETTER not BIGGER Healeys
spritenut
1275cc

Postby HP Spridget #53 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:59 pm

Thanks Frank. Heard of the sawdust and banana peels tricks many years ago when I was young. Never did try them though. :)

Luckily in this case, the source of the whine turned out to be the left rear bearing. Replaced both rear bearings and added some new brake shoes and drums just because it was the prudent thing to do and all is well.

Diffs? With two race cars, a parts car and the street car, and too many eBay deals, I've probably a bakers dozen scattered around the garage. I was checking into my options in case the bearings didn't fix the noise and quit counting at ten.

And though I do not have the factory special tools, I've successfully set up a couple diffs for racing and, knock on wood, haven't had a failure yet. :D

Quick story.

Intended to change diff ratios in my race car last year. Seeing as I was short of time to work on the car, I let my then fourteen year old son pull the diff for me (axles were already disengaged). Anyway, I'm on the way home from work the next morning and call the house on the cell phone. Son answers and proudly proclaims he has the diff out for me. Great, I think. Then he tells me he had some problems and I ask him what he used to remove it. You aren't going to believe this but his answer was, "Your new air chisel, Dad!"

Needless to say, I was shocked and more than a little concerned! It's truly a wonder I didn't get a speeding ticket on the way to the house! As it turned out, the diff case and axle housing only needed some minor clean up with a file and that unit is still in use.

Both son and Dad learned valuable lessons too. Son -- stop before doing potential damage when things aren't going quite as planned. Dad -- woah here old boy, let's set a few limitations here!! :shock:

Tim
Tim Hollister
HolliTech Team Racing
Waterford, MI
HP Spridget #53
948cc

Postby dan » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:21 pm

spritenut wrote:...and bannana peels in the sump ;) ...

Ok, never heard about banana peels--in the sump? What's that the remedy for?

d
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite
1985 Jaguar XJ6 VDP
dan
Site Admin

Postby bugeye58 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:03 pm

Yup, address the symptom, not the cause. Why not just turn the damn radio up so you can't hear the howl. At least then you'll be listening to music when your diff locks up and sends you spinning into oncoming traffic.
Jeff
bugeye58
948cc

Return to Differential / Rear Axle