Rebuild tip for gear syncronizers

Need help with your tranny? Check this forum for advice.

Rebuild tip for gear syncronizers

Postby MOPAULY » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:04 pm

Not sure if anyone is aware of this, but it worked for me during the recent rebuild of my 4 speed in my '67 MKIV. If you do not have the factory tool to put the syncro sleeves over the syncro gears (the gears that have the springs and ball bearings), you can try this instead.

With the inner gear laying flat on a workbench, insert the 3 springs; ensure this is done from the side that has the access holes where the springs sit. Using a punch slightly smaller in diameter than the recessed holes where the springs are located, press in and compress the spring. When compressed, insert a dental pick through the access holes, in between the spring coils; the pick will keep the spring compressed against the access hole in the gear, and not allow it to expand outward; repeat this 2 more times for the other springs with picks.

You can now set the gear accordingly into the sleeve; now place the 3 ball bearings and gently press the gear back into the sleeve, using a punch to slightly press in on each ball bearing. Once the gear has been fully reseated into the sleeve, remove the 3 dental picks to allow full spring pressure on each ball bearing.

This should help with an otherwise difficult reassembly, especially if you don't have the factory tool for doing this.
MOPAULY
Pit Crew

Re: Rebuild tip for gear syncronizers

Postby Charlie Tolman » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:00 am

Some people have used a large radiator hose clamp (Jubilee clamp ?) to hold the balls and springs in place.

Charlie T.
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Postby Charlie Tolman » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:02 am

I forgot to mention that your suggested method should work very well.

CT
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Postby MOPAULY » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:19 pm

I tried something similar, but was unable to get the outer gear over the inner because of the gear surfaces.
MOPAULY
Pit Crew

Postby Joe Schlosser » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:58 pm

I have used a wide plastic zip tie to hold the springs and balls in place while sliding the outer over the inner
Joe
NESCCA FP 48 (Retired)
1960 Bugeye
Joe Schlosser
948cc

Return to Transmission (Gearbox)