better Trans procedure?

Need help with your tranny? Check this forum for advice.

better Trans procedure?

Postby Highlander » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:09 pm

I'm going to have to replace the layshaft and bearings in my ribcase (12G1100 layshaft), and have the Bentley manual which is Terrible. It references items in the text, but identifies them differently in the exploded diagram. Is there a better workshop manual available for the transmission disassembly/reassembly?
TIA
Mark Haynes
AN5L8016
HAN6L12977
Highlander
948cc

Re: better Trans procedure?

Postby Charlie Tolman » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:48 am

On the Sprite Spot home page, on the left side, "click" on Reference Desk.
Under Workshop Manual you will find a link to the Gearbox.
I have not looked at its content, but it might be better than the one that you have.

Charlie T.
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Postby Highlander » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:43 pm

Thanks Charlie,
But that's exactly what I have already. I've never really worked on a trans before, and this just confuses me more.
Mark Haynes
AN5L8016
HAN6L12977
Highlander
948cc

Postby Charlie Tolman » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:12 am

Mark,

I have an Owners Workshop Manual for the Sprite and Midget, published by Autobooks in England. I could copy the Gearbox pages, and send them to you via the US Post Office.
The pages and descriptions might be different than those in the Bentley manual ?

My old computer has trouble opening large pdf files, otherwise, I could view the Gearbox information that is available through the Sprite Spot Reference Desk, and compare it to my manual, to determine if there are differences.

Charlie T.
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Postby Highlander » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:37 pm

Thanks Charlie,
But I think the whole problem is me. The manuals are all based on the BMC manual (I already have a copy of that gearbox chapter thanks to Rick Fisk) and its exactly the same as the Bentley. I guess its just the trepidation of stepping into something that I KNOW is complicated and that I can FU at any small point. I've been back through the manuals and it seems less scary than the first time through. I'll reread it again before I start the teardown of the shredded trans, so that when I tear the good, but ailing trans down, I'll have experience with it all.
thanks again for the offer, Charlie.
Mark Haynes
AN5L8016
HAN6L12977
Highlander
948cc

Postby Asolepius » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:25 am

A word of warning. The front bearings come in two widths, but with the same part number! I struggled with my ribcase rebuild for weeks and then gave up - it assembled fine but would suddenly not select gears correctly. I got it rebuilt by Hardy Engineering http://www.hardyengineering.co.uk/, who explained this to me - expensively!
Les Rose, Salisbury, UK
1959 Sprite, owned since 1978
Asolepius
1098cc

Postby Charlie Tolman » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:32 am

I must have been fortunate in purchasing front transmission bearings with the correct width (thickness), over the years.
And the correct width is ???

Charlie T.
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Return to Transmission (Gearbox)