yet another request

Need help with your tranny? Check this forum for advice.

yet another request

Postby Jim Duffey » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:29 pm

Regarding the rear mounting support (#29 in service parts list manual) the 2 bolts, part #30, do they go through the sheet metal which encloses the drive shaft? Or, as I suspect, do I need to drill holes large enough to get bolts up in there and then install blanking plugs to keep moisture out? Again, many thanks.
Jim Duffey
948cc

Re: yet another request

Postby Asolepius » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:34 am

Sorry, but your question isn't clear to me. If you mean the mounting of the gearbox to the car, there are 4 bolts. Two are short and go in from either side of the trans tunnel (inside the car), and 2 are long and go in from underneath the cross member - on which the gearbox mounting sits.
Les Rose, Salisbury, UK
1959 Sprite, owned since 1978
Asolepius
1098cc

Postby Jim Duffey » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:00 am

The sheet metal which encloses the drive shaft is now covering the holes in the bottom of the cross member, Did someone forget to drill out holes so I can get the bolts in??
Jim Duffey
948cc

Postby Asolepius » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:19 am

So someone has replaced the bottom of the trans tunnel, including the bottom of the cross member? Very odd. I can't see why anyone would do that as the whole area is usually soaked in oil leaking from the engine, and never corrodes. Drilling the holes will be tricky as they have to line up exactly with the gearbox mounting. It might be best to drill pilot holes downwards from the top of the cross member, assuming you don't have the unit in the car at the moment. Also assuming you have the holes in the top of the cross member. If someone has replaced the latter and not drilled it at all, you will have to measure the mounting very carefully and mark out the positions of the holes.
Les Rose, Salisbury, UK
Asolepius
1098cc

Postby Asolepius » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:22 am

Just remembered something. I think the cross member has tubes inside it which guide the long bolts, and prevent the member from collapsing when the bolts are tightened. So when you drill you will have to line up with the tubes.
Les Rose, Salisbury, UK
Asolepius
1098cc

Postby Jim Duffey » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:03 am

This car was dipped and coated with yellow chromate primer 25+ years ago. Any leaked oil was long gone when I got it. The car is finally painted and ready for reassembly. I found this problem after the paint went on. The holes are in the top of the rail, as you describe. The tubes are intact as well. Maybe an angled drill can get in there? Or, I might get a punch in to mark the spot to drill through. Thanks for walking me through this with any ideas you have additionally.
Jim Duffey
948cc

Postby Asolepius » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:24 am

How about this idea? Find an old bolt (or other steel rod) that fits the hole in the top of the member. Long enough to go to the bottom. Grind the end accurately to a sharp point, drop it in the hole and whack it with a hammer. You will then have a small pimple marking the correct position. Then from the underneath punch the pimple back up so you have somewhere to locate your drill bit. Use a small bit first.

There is no need to add any special seal to the bolt holes. If you have stone chip or other sealant under the car that will suffice. No doubt you have wax injected the cross member anyway, so water won't get in.
Les Rose, Salisbury, UK
Asolepius
1098cc

Postby Jim Duffey » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:32 am

Yes, the cross member is full of Waxoyl. Down from the top appeals to me as well. Mark the spot and drill small. By placing a small flashlight at the top I can see if light comes through the pilot hole and go from there.
Jim Duffey
948cc

Postby Jim Duffey » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:34 pm

OK, the punch through the top worked great, problem solved. Thanks again.
Jim Duffey
948cc

Postby Asolepius » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:06 am

Good. I am still baffled as to why you had the problem at all, as I have never heard of anyone replacing the tunnel floor, unless fitting the Ford gearbox.
Les Rose, Salisbury, UK
Asolepius
1098cc

Postby Jim Duffey » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:57 am

I will catch up with my panel beater this weekend while fishing. I'll inquire and get back to you. Thanks again.
Jim Duffey
948cc

Return to Transmission (Gearbox)