Help with Datsun gearbox Q&A

Need help with your tranny? Check this forum for advice.

Help with Datsun gearbox Q&A

Postby vagt6 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:51 am

Hello, all. The Midget I purchased last week has a Datsun 5 speed gearbox. A couple of questions for those of you who may be familiar:

1) Where's the oil fill/inspection hole? Do you have to get under the car to get to it?

2) I have service records that show it has 90 weight gear oil in it. I wonder if this is synthetic? How might I determine what's in it?

3) Is there a drain plug/hole, and where?

Nice 5th gear, surprisingly low RPM at 65 MPH.

Thanks for the help, guys.

-Mark
vagt6
948cc

Re: Help with Datsun gearbox Q&A

Postby trevor » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:40 am

It depends on the model you have.
On mine the drain plug is on the bottom. The fill plug must be accessed from under the car. It is on the left side, and is easily visible. If you need to add fluid, then it is wise to purchase one of the cheap plastic pumps that attach to the top of oil bottles. I originally used redline synthetic gear oil in mine, but switched to an older type oil and it seems to switch better. If I get out to the garage today I'll see what the specs are.

There is another type of datsun transmissin that has the drain plug on the side.
trevor
1275cc

Postby vagt6 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:10 am

Thanks, Trevor. I'd assume that you pump oil into the box until it weeps out the fill hole.

If I can find the drain plug, I'm gonna drain it and put in Redline MT90. Does that sound okay? My service records indictae it was filled with "90 weight gear oil" when the rebuilt gearbox was installed in the car.

That's all I've got to go on.
vagt6
948cc

Postby trevor » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:28 pm

Sounds like a fine place to start. Ans yes, just fill until it dibbles back out.
trevor
1275cc

Return to Transmission (Gearbox)