clutch release issues

Need help with your tranny? Check this forum for advice.

clutch release issues

Postby David Reed » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:08 pm

Hi again, I've been having trouble with my car again. The car a 70 midget with a datsun 5 speed from rivergate. Anyways my problem is that the hydraulic system does not seem to want to bleed or could possibly be that my master cylinder is bad. Anyways I just replaced the slave cylinder and braided line and am still having problems. I bleed the system and I'm positive it got bled because I thought that was my problem for 3 days as I sat there like an idiot and bled the system every which way. Anyways it seems like my slave cylinder does not want to move until the master is almost all the way pushed in pedal to the floor it starts to get pressure about an inch or 2 from the floor. Now my question is does the master cylinder have issues with sealing which is not allowing it to push fluid until it gets pushed in. Maybe it's possible it was honed and doesn't want to seal until the last half of pedal travel but anyways I was just curious if anyone could shed light on this problem for me. Could it possibly be my clutch or anything else that I haven't checked yet? David Reed
David Reed
Pit Crew

Re: clutch release issues

Postby hoggie » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:32 pm

Sure seems like a master cylinder issue to me if your confident that there is no air in the line. The slave cylinder should start moving as soon as the clutch pedal starts moving the master cylinder shaft. Some of the fluid may be passing the first cup seal and back to the reservoir. It would have the same affect as having air in the lines. The cylinder diameters are so small, just a little corrosion can cause seal bypass even with new cups. If you take the clutch master cylinder apart, you can probably see the cylinder wall pitting if present.

Mike
hoggie
1098cc

Postby David Reed » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:18 am

Hey, thanks for the info I'll replace the master cylinder tomorrow and see if that helps.
David Reed
Pit Crew

Postby trevor » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:24 am

Also, check that the hole in the clutch pedal arm has not elongated.
trevor
1275cc

Postby David Reed » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:05 am

Hey thanks for the replies. It was the master cylinder piston not coming all the way back a new master fixed it. But also today I had to replace the rear end due to the fact that the ring and pinion were destroyed 2 teeth broke off the pinion and destroyed my rear end so the whole rear end got replaced anyways thanks for the replies.
David Reed
Pit Crew

Return to Transmission (Gearbox)