1098 gearbox parts

Need help with your tranny? Check this forum for advice.

Re: 1098 gearbox parts

Postby Ragnars-Frogeye » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:51 pm

Hi Asolepius,

it's just for the eyes, nothing more. Also it's just interesting how it would work.
Some firms in GB, I think Holden or Harding, offer this possibility. In the moment there's no need to do it.
In garage sleeps a defect 22G1100 gearbox ribcase. I'll repair it for the case of emergency. If it's possible to built the new gears into the second smooth box in my garage without to much work- perhaps I'll do so.
Why did they change the box casing, stability or temperature?
Greetings from Germany

Ragnar
http://www.ragnars-frosch.de
AN5L-1443
10CG engine
9CG gearbox
Ragnars-Frogeye
948cc

Postby Asolepius » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:40 pm

Because the 1098 box has roller bearings and not plain ones, it is noisier. I suspect that the ribs are to stiffen the casting and reduce vibration. They did this with the A+ cylinder block, for the same reason I believe.
Les Rose, Salisbury, UK
1959 Sprite, owned since 1978
Asolepius
1098cc

Postby Ragnars-Frogeye » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:05 am

Hallo Asolepius,

the 9CG gearbox also has needle rollers, so they must have had some troubles with this gearbox too. As the Morris Minor and I the Baby Austins had the same gearboxes they must have had troubles with them too. so I think it's no good idea to change the gears to the old case. If I have to machine the box, I loose some strength of the case so it will break soner.
All firms who offer a "new" gearbox want to have the old one in return. You will get some money back if you hand them your old box and if it is possible to restore it. The only possibility it cannot be restored is a broken case. So that implicates, that there must be a weak point in the case.

As I have to work until Sunday evening now, there's only littel time to rebuild my box, but I will report, if possible with some pictures.
Greetings from Germany

Ragnar
AN5L-1443
10CG engine
9CG gearbox
Ragnars-Frogeye
948cc

Postby Asolepius » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:01 am

Hi Ragnar

I have not heard about cases breaking. The problem with the plain bearings is that they wear faster and there is more friction. The gears are not particularly strong and even the needle rollers do wear out fairly quickly. When BL introduced the Metro Turbo they limited the engine torque by means of an exhaust blow-off valve, because they knew that unregulated mid-range torque would wear out a lot of boxes within the warranty period. They had essentially the same gear set as the Sprite. Of course for racing you can use straight cut gears which are vastly stronger but impossibly noisy for the road.
Les Rose, Salisbury, UK
Asolepius
1098cc

Postby Charlie Tolman » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:10 am

Ragnar,

In your January 6 note, I hope that you were not complaining about the -8 degree C (+18 deg F) temperature in Germany.

Here in the Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA area, it was -18 F (-28 C) on Tuesday morning, and will be near -22 F (-30 C) on Thursday morning. Of course, it was and/or will be colder in northern Minnesota.

Many years ago, my home town of St. Cloud, Minn. had the lowest temperature in the nation for a particular day. As I ventured out, to go to junior high school, the temperature was -40 F (-40 C). That was very cold.

Charlie T.
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Postby Ragnars-Frogeye » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:48 am

Hi Charlie,

no complaining, just discribeing. :)
I remember working under my Frog at -17°C in a Garage without heating. The tools where so cold that I my fingers where nearly frozen at them.
That was cold enough for me.
In the last years we had no real winters here in northern Germany. Normally the temeprature is between +2 an -2°C. That feels relatively cold as it's very wet. This year we got down to - 12°C.
I hope next winter to go driving with the frog!

Going to work on the gears in a warm cellar

Ragnar
Greetings from Germany

Ragnar
AN5L-1443
10CG engine
9CG gearbox
Ragnars-Frogeye
948cc

Postby Ragnars-Frogeye » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:29 pm

Hallo all together,

nearly finished :D ! All parts are in the box and I can change all gears. There's none gone lost!!
Now I have to clean the box for painting.
The old workshop manual is really fantastic, if you do it like they describe it, it all works. The most complicate thing for me were the plungers to push in at the right moment.

I took some photos for the next time to rebuild a gearbox. I' ll make a short report with pictures on my homepage. This will last some days but I'm going to work it out.

Bye for now from a rainy 5°C Germany with a great :D :D
Greetings from Germany

Ragnar
AN5L-1443
10CG engine
9CG gearbox
Ragnars-Frogeye
948cc

Postby Asolepius » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:45 pm

Well done Ragnar! I don't know which workshop manual you have but I have the mark II-IV manual (bought in 1971) and it has a few errors. I will probably write an article for the Spritespot wiki, just to warn people. My 1098 box is also working fine, but I bought a very nice leather gear lever knob from Moss and it's extremely noisy. The insert is nylon and it should really be hard rubber. I am going to bore it out and fit a piece of fuel tubing.
Les Rose, Salisbury, UK
Asolepius
1098cc

Postby Ragnars-Frogeye » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:12 am

Hallo Asolepius,
it's the original workshop manual I bought many years ago. It's all in English so I had to learn the vocabulary.
The number of it is 97H1585
Austin-Healey Sprite (A.N.5)
Service Manual
The Austin Motor Company Ltd Birmingham England
It's light blue with golden letters.
I got it on my computer in the meantime with all the pictures and so on.
the book is not completely correct. There are some statements about the car and its parts, that aren't in the car.
The manual describes the 9 c gearbox and no other, but the follower gearboxes weren' t so different. So I could do the job.
To the noises I can tell, that my gearbox is a rattle box or you can say an acoustic tachometer. Above 4500 Rev the gear lever shivers badly. I change the anti rattle kit but it hasn't become better, so I'll hear it rattling. I still have the old plastic knob on my lever and it will always turn around as I can't fix it. But that doesn't matter. Changing the gears is much more important. :)
Greetings from Germany

Ragnar
AN5L-1443
10CG engine
9CG gearbox
Ragnars-Frogeye
948cc

Postby motorheadltd » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:50 pm

I'm a little late to the party here but I just found an AEA3023 first gear assembly in my NoS parts. If my research is correct that is a first gear assembly for a 22A207 laygear. If anyone is interested shoot me an email (motorhead-gmail.com (replace the - with an @). Thanks, Mike
motorheadltd
Pit Crew

Postby Asolepius » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:31 am

Hi Ragnar

I have the original manual for marks II-IV, but the text for the gearbox seems to be exactly the same as for the mark I, exept for a section about the baulk rings. Yes there are errors. For example it's impossible to withdraw the first motion shaft from the front of the box as the gear is bigger than the mark I (different ratios). Also of course it doesn't mention all that stuff about the different front bearing thicknesses.

The gear lever rattle is pain. I have of course replaced the anti-rattle kit but it still rattles. I am thinking of putting a rubber O-ring under the nylon button to increase the tension. The knob rotates because the rubber bush is worn out. Dig out the old rubber and glue in a piece of pressure tubing of the right diameter. It improves the gearchange when the knob is secure.
Les Rose, Salisbury, UK
Asolepius
1098cc

Postby Ragnars-Frogeye » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:03 pm

Hi Asolepius,

I'm a little puzzled now, because of the first motion shaft. As the ratios of the fourth gear are always the same (also the number of teeth - I know it because I counted them for a friend some days ago), there only can be a difference in the housing but ->
My box is a 9Cg and I pulled it out to the front, also the ribbed box for the 1275 engine I pulled it out to the front. I think you know you have to pull it out with the bearing. So I'm wondering.

The other thing is the rattling, where does it really come from? I mean the origin of the shaking and the bad sound.
In my part catalogue there is a ring at the lever. It's fitted to the lever. My lever has this rubber ring but it doesn't help. Or do you mean a different place?

What do you think about a little screw through the knob into the lever. Will the rattling destroy the plastic?
Can you tell me how you book describes how to build in the 56 needle rollers? I did it with an elastic band.

In the meantime I painted my gearbox in the old original colour. The colour reminds me to the Spitfires and Hurricanes, is it the same colour?
Greetings from Germany

Ragnar
AN5L-1443
10CG engine
9CG gearbox
Ragnars-Frogeye
948cc

Postby Ragnars-Frogeye » Fri May 08, 2009 12:58 pm

Hallo all together,

on the 1st of May I started my real first run with the rebuild gearbox.
I can't believe that it's my Sprite because I miss all the noises that were so familiar to me. :D :D :D

Having fun again
Greetings from Germany

Ragnar
AN5L-1443
10CG engine
9CG gearbox
Ragnars-Frogeye
948cc

Previous

Return to Transmission (Gearbox)