2300 cc ford

Any topics pertaining to engine transplants (non-BMC powerplants). If you've dropped a big-block in your bugeye, this is the forum for you.

2300 cc ford

Postby slowpoke » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:13 pm

I plan on installing carburatorated 2300 capri motor and 5 speed into a 79 midget I purchased a few years back it is only a body, even the rear end is missing hog. I have done the measurements and looks like it is possible. I also plan on cutting a v-8 mustang rear end with disc brakes to replace existing. Concerned more on transmission fit than motor (Ive done this type of modifcations before with other vehicles) Plan on keeping motor stock except larger carb, headers and lighter flywheel

My theme for the car is realiabilty, sufficent power, good handling. (which I will adress later). I seen the other transformations but have decided on the Ford powerplant. I'm a Ford Nut. Please give any input please
slowpoke
Pit Crew

Postby Paul H » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:31 am

I know nothing about the motor you are proposing to use, so this may or may not be relevant. One of the main issues with engine conversions with Spridgets is ensuring that the new engine / transmission is light enough to preserve the handling - bear in mind that a 948cc A Series can be carried easily by two people - so the weight would be a critical factor for the choice of the new engine.
1961 Sprite Mk2 (948cc, HAN6)
Paul H
948cc

Mighty Midget

Postby slowpoke » Sun May 01, 2005 10:59 pm

well from repsonse I received I assume that it is not a swap that is popular. If all goes well it makes alot of since to me since the junk yards are full of them and parts or easy and cheap and the performance levels are unlimited 250 hp-300 hp is not difficult. and since the value of midgets is very low for amount of money it would cost to lightly restore i've decided to only use the shell of midget for my project to be called the "Mighty Midget" I saw that name in print and like it.

I have decided to report on the work that I will be doing to this forum. It will take a long period of time since this is my spare time hobby.

I have removed bonnet, left and right fenders, front bumpers and braces, exhaust, carpets, seats, motor and transmission were already out, and the gas tank, glove box (any body want it?) all of these parts are unservicable except maybe seats. so they will be tossed.

I plan on using fiberglass bonnet, fenders, and trunk. Any one have any experience with these parts as far a a response on quality, fit, orginal look available venders. The car will be debumpered.

I will be placing a summit 16 gallon racing fuel cell in trunk area ( trunk floor board will be removed between frame rails)

I have found major rust on top of heater box where battery leaked and around the cowl area between door and fender. some on floor boards and bottom of doors and lower rear fender but all is savable.

My next step is to clean scrape brush and treat motor compartment area.
slowpoke
Pit Crew

Postby trevor » Mon May 02, 2005 3:51 pm

I like reading about motor swaps. Here is one that might interest you:

http://the-mite.com/index.htm
trevor
1275cc

good reference

Postby slowpoke » Mon May 02, 2005 11:25 pm

thanks trevor, this guy really doing a great job. I can use alot of this for reference.
slowpoke
Pit Crew

end of task

Postby slowpoke » Fri May 20, 2005 10:22 pm

The 2300 carburation is on drivers side. due to length of motor the the kick boxes would need reshaping. the steering column would have to be moved. decided not to progress futher
slowpoke
Pit Crew

Return to Lumps