Zetec into a Sprite MKII

Any topics pertaining to engine transplants (non-BMC powerplants). If you've dropped a big-block in your bugeye, this is the forum for you.

Zetec into a Sprite MKII

Postby richardjbondy » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:31 am

Here is a "how to" for a 2.0 Ford Zetec into a Sprite MKII, includes 29 photos, 180 hp & 1,450 pounds, www.britishv8.org/Other/RichardBondy.htm
richardjbondy
Pit Crew

Re: Zetec into a Sprite MKII

Postby Bugzy59 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:41 pm

Bugzy59
1275cc

Postby richardjbondy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:20 am

Yes,

I've seen Rod's postings and he built an outstanding Zetec/Sprite. The weight of the Zetec and the power, anywhere from 135 to 250 hp is an ideal combination for a Spridget. A cautious builder can end up at the car's original weight.

I went in a slightly different direction with the T-9 instead of the T-5 transmission. The T-9 and custom bell housing is much more expensive route but it allowed me to keep the body tub intact. Living in Michigan's variable weather I've become addicted to fuel injection. The induction and engine management system from Webcon was used instead of carbs. With this option the car always starts, idles, and runs exactly as it should.

Rick
richardjbondy
Pit Crew

Postby Charlie Tolman » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:14 am

Richard,

Your car looks fantastic, especially so, without a hood scoop.

You are to be congratulated on your craftsmanship and dedication.

Charlie Tolman
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Postby richardjbondy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:51 am

Charlie,

It was so close trying to make sure I would not have to modify the hood. The Raceline cast aluminum oil pan really helps lower the engine height. The engine mounts were designed with a 3/4 inch spacer. The car is currently running with 3 inches of oil pan clearance. If the spacer is removed for a little track work the clearance drops to 2 1/4 inches.

Lifting the flat hood off has surprised a few folks.

Thanks for the interest,

Rick
richardjbondy
Pit Crew

Postby Rod H » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:57 pm

Excellent job. Very nice, I like the Bonniville hup caps.

Although, I've never had a problem with my car starting with the carbs, even in the most bitter cold Southern California winters (last week it went all the way down into the 70's, brrrrrrr).

Keep an eye on your rear gears and axles, the sprite rearend isn't meant for that kind of power.

Great Job,

Rod
Rod H
1098cc

Postby richardjbondy » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:09 am

Thanks Rod,

It is currently minus 4 degrees here in Michigan. I have a '69 E-Type and it is the only car I own that still has carbs....

Hardened axles from Winner's Circle were installed in the Sprite with fresh bearings and third member. I'm aware that the splines are very close to the maximum limit. I've only unloaded it from a slow roll.

We both know amazing these Zetec Sprites are (hp/weight), I'm surprised that others have not built them.

Rick
richardjbondy
Pit Crew

Postby Rod H » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:42 am

Hey Richard, I had a '61 E which I studpidly sold in my youth (to cover expenses for my race car).

With the rx-7 rear-end, we've let it loose hard a couple times. When my son was recently home on leave he and I were out messing around with him at the wheel. A couple of guys his age pulled up next us in a rice-mobile, an electric blue, plastic clad thingy, an exhaust pipe the size of diesel rig and a wing to rival the 1969 dodge charger daytona. I told him to "go ahead" and show off. He left a pair of black marks for 75 feet. The boys in the rice-car were literally left in the smoke. My son and I laughed for 10 minutes, then I reminded him "Don't tell Mom".

Rod
Rod H
1098cc

Postby richardjbondy » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:11 pm

Rod,

Our Sprites are so small they are underestimated by everyone. I have a '05 Porsche Carrera (non S) and the Zetec Sprite runs side by side against the Porsche until around 80 mph. I sold the Zetec/Sprite to a friend about a month ago, currently in withdrawl, don't know what to build that could be this much fun again. ..might have made a bad decision. Be sure to keep yours in the family !!!

Rick
richardjbondy
Pit Crew

Postby daytonadogie » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:25 pm

Great looking build! Did you use lexan or cut a stock windshield when you chopped it?
daytonadogie
Pit Crew

Postby richardjbondy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:58 pm

The winshield is chopped about 4 1/2 inches. An experienced glass shop that does hot rod projects can help you. I removed the glass from the frame and gasket and they made a wood pattern to scribe the glass in the same location on both sides. Then they covered the scribe with lighter fluid and threw a match to it. This melted the polcarbonate laminate and it fell into two pieces. The fellows polished the edge and I took it home and cut and polished the aluminum frame to fit. The glass shop chared me $80 and it was an easy one day project.

I was able to due it with one windshield but they warned me before we started that on occasion they have used up to 8 windshields to get it right, so there is some risk involved. The Sprite is extremely low, but the winshiled modification resulted in everyone else noticing how low it is.
richardjbondy
Pit Crew

Return to Lumps