More performance from a 1500?

Topics related to the engines for the later MG Midget series.

More performance from a 1500?

Postby boxfullofyertoys » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:14 pm

Every time I try to search this forum or the "intarwebs" for performance tips for a 1500, I come up with very little...

I figured I'd post something to try and get a better idea on what's out there in terms of making the 1500 a little more powerful...any thoughts or suggestions? I feel like that engine is good for more than the 50 or so hp these little guys came with, but there's not a lot out there on how extract it, or any kind of numbers to back up the gains. I know the A-series is probably a better choice all around, but I'm not looking to do an engine swap. I just want a little more spring in her step :)

What I've done so far on my '76 thus far:

- Removed all the emissions "junk"
- New pacesetter exhaust manifold
- Moved up to a Weber DGV carb
- Added an electric fan (the car didn't have a fan clutch on it when I got it...just a fan bolted to the crank pulley)

Things I'm considering/have heard rumors about:

- Piston swap (from dished to flat) will yield a higher compression ratio (once I rebuild the engine...it's going to be out anyway right? :-P)...I've also herd rumors that going to a head from a 1300 (while leaving the dished pistons in place) will yield a higher compression as well.

- Fuel injection (http://www.visn2.com/documents/1500FuelInjection.pdf). It sounds like there's some power to be had there, and with some creativity it looks like it can be done without breaking the bank...

What does everyone else out there think?
boxfullofyertoys
Pit Crew

Re: More performance from a 1500?

Postby trevor » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:06 pm

I think (guessing) that raising the compression ratio and switching to the cam used in the home market cars would result in a big gain.
trevor
1275cc

Re: More performance from a 1500?

Postby hpmowog » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:57 pm

As a further improvement on the carburation side of things can be achieved by switching to a pair of HS4's or HIF44's on a UK home market midget or spitfire manifold. To get the most of it, you'll need to upgrade the cam and pistons though.
Karl Keiger
'62 Sprite
'60 Bugeye - Vintage Race Project
'65 Innocenti S - Vintage Race Project
hpmowog
948cc

Return to 1500cc (Later Midget)