Su inlet manifold

Topics related to the engines for the later MG Midget series.

Su inlet manifold

Postby Britoil » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:52 pm

Hi i'm converting my 75 rubber bumper midget to uk spec twin su's
my question is can i bypass the water connections for the inlet manifold or is it really needed ? as mine are rusted through here is a link to a pic of what i mean

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewP ... dexID=1432

Steve
Britoil
Pit Crew

Re: Su inlet manifold

Postby dan » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:33 pm

Don't have a firm answer on this, but my gut says that since those connections weren't on earlier cars (which had just a plain intake manifold) that you'd be safe removing them and re-routing the flow as necessary.

Anyone else want to throw in their $0.02?
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite
1985 Jaguar XJ6 VDP
dan
Site Admin

Postby hoggie » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:36 am

Wow, just took a look at the 1500 heater plumbing. Somehow simplicity got thrown out the window with that design. Lots of hose clamps, twists and turns. I've seen other engines with the water routed through the intake manifolds. I think the purpose is to help warm the fuel vapor to aid in cold weather running. But it seems it would work against you after the engine is fully warmed up. I'm not familiar with the 1500 midgets. Is it a common thing to convert them to SU carbs ?
hoggie
1098cc

Postby Britoil » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:53 pm

hoggie wrote:Wow, just took a look at the 1500 heater plumbing. Somehow simplicity got thrown out the window with that design. Lots of hose clamps, twists and turns. I've seen other engines with the water routed through the intake manifolds. I think the purpose is to help warm the fuel vapor to aid in cold weather running. But it seems it would work against you after the engine is fully warmed up. I'm not familiar with the 1500 midgets. Is it a common thing to convert them to SU carbs ?

They were all fitted with the twin su's in the uk and europe only the usa got the crabby stromberg the other popular conversion is the webber but i prefered the su's as i have worked on them for many years and find them easy to setup
Britoil
Pit Crew

Postby CTR » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:49 pm

It does not appear that this was a hot topic. Did you ever do the swap? Can you give me a lead on a twin SU manifold for the 1500. I'd love to have the manifold and air cleaner if possible. Thanks Steve (CTR)
CTR
948cc

Postby Britoil » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:32 pm

Hi
Yes i've done the conversion to the twin hs4's not got it running yet though as i had to rewire the dash and work keeps holding me up but heres an inlet manifold on uk ebay he ships worldwide so no problems there
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MG-Midget-1500-In ... arParts_SM
good luck
Steve
Britoil
Pit Crew

Postby jdjagguy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:36 pm

The mystery intake manifold that connects twin SU's to a 1500 is from a 1296cc spitfire Circa 69-70. These come up on ebay fairly often. I have personally bypassed the heat pipe in the manifold with this setup on a late spitfire I could detect no noticeable difference.
Hope that helps, Cheers.
Richard
jdjagguy
Pit Crew

Postby rkreeves » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:46 am

"The mystery intake manifold that connects twin SU's to a 1500 is from a 1296cc spitfire Circa 69-70"

IIRC, the manifold mentioned above is for the 1 1/4" SU setup only, the 1 1/2" SU manifold for 1500 never shipped to North America on a production vehicle.
They come on EBay UK fairly often.

Cheers, Richard
rkreeves
Pit Crew

Return to 1500cc (Later Midget)