smog stuff removel

Topics related to the engines for the later MG Midget series.

smog stuff removel

Postby Roadhog » Mon May 08, 2006 7:08 pm

I live in an area that doesn't do sniff test, yet. As this midget won't be on the street much I am dying to tear out all of the smog/emission junk that I can. Any guidelines/suggestions from anyone?
Roadhog
Pit Crew

Postby Modelguy2 » Mon May 08, 2006 8:16 pm

From what I've read on other baords they run better with the stuff or they need a bit of fine tuning after removal to get them to run well. Mine has all the emission stuff on it and it runs like it was made yesterday.
Modelguy2
Pit Crew

Re: smog stuff removel

Postby Con Tiki1 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:23 am

When the air pump seized on my car, i pulled everything out rather than spend the $ to replace it. It was worth it for the extra space under the hood. As to whether or not it runs better, I think there's an improvement.
The biggest difference I've noticed is the timing, and amount of advance. My car, a '76, had a vacuum retard on it which had it running 2degrees after @ idle, as soon as i plugged it, the timing jumped to 10 deg before, and everything smoothed out. I guess it depends on what you're after. My car only gets a couple hundred miles a summer, so it's mileage exempt from the emissions test. I don't really know if these cars are that inefficient, or if it was the mid-70's mindset that created the need for all that smog equipment.
I may get mine checked, just to see if it will pass w/o all that crap...
Con Tiki1
Pit Crew

Return to 1500cc (Later Midget)