Newly rebuilt 1275

Any topics pertaining to the BMC A-Series engine.

Newly rebuilt 1275

Postby Bubby0962 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:47 pm

Placed a rebuilt 1275 in my 1959 bugeye,added coolant, and immediately noticed all three visible freeze plugs leaking with no pressure on the system. I am going to pull the motor to get to the 2 rear freeze plugs. Would it be acceptable to use JB Weld for just the 2 rear freeze plugs or something like epoxy? If epoxy,which kind? I just don't want to have to pull the motor again.
Bubby0962
Pit Crew

Re: Newly rebuilt 1275

Postby Charlie Tolman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:27 am

J B Weld or epoxy probably will seal the freeze plug, but it might present a problem if it must be removed in the future.
Silicone might be too soft to seal well, with a pressurized cooling system.

According to information from forums on the Internet, people have used Permatex #2, Locktite hydraulic sealer, and Locktite Blue.

For the visible locations, there are rubber plugs that expand when tightening an external nut.
Some people do not like this style, since they might restrict coolant flow near a cylinder casting.

I have used both styles of freeze plugs, the expandable rubber design and the steel "coined" style, but have not personally installed the steel plugs. This task was handled by the machine shop, and I do not know what sealer, if any, that they used.

Charlie T.
Charlie Tolman
Judson Supercharged

Re: Newly rebuilt 1275

Postby pjwilletts » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:32 am

A new leaking engine is not that uncommon....why not try some stop leak first....
pjwilletts
Pit Crew

Return to A-Series (948cc, 1098cc, 1275cc)