Best Air Filter Assembly--what are people using?

Any topics pertaining to the BMC A-Series engine.

Re: Best Air Filter Assembly--what are people using?

Postby Bugeyeman » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:07 pm

Excellent question! And many different answers! The trumpets spoken of require some kind of sock or sponge to filter the crap out of the air. Dust and dirt getting into the carbs means an early end to the engine! Talk about oil issues! They are sporty looking and may help air induction into the engine to a degree. The various K&N filters, considered by everyone on the planet to be the best filters, have come in various designs over the years. The only problem with some of them is that the flat design does not help with the air induction. Some aftermarket air cleaners were manufactured out of aluminum and had a mini velocity stack built into them and then used the K&N Hi-Flow filters. These came out of Australia and were all aluminum, great machining and a powder coated finish applied. The were a pancake style of filter that bore the markings H/P with a checkered flag background. The H/P stood for high performance. About forty sets were sold in the States and sadly, there are no more coming out of Australia. If you can find a set of these for sale, look no further!!!! K&N has started manufacturing a similar looking air cleaner, although I have not seen one to hold in my hand. Steel rusts, no matter how nice it looks with a chrome finish. Aluminum air cleaners with K&N filters, thats what's on both of my Sprites! Good luck, Steve
Bugeyeman
Pit Crew

Postby johnmcguire » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:47 pm

I have a Mk 1 with H1 carbs and want to fit K&N filters but have not been able to find a simple fit available. Has anyone adapted the K&N for the later carbs to fit my 1&1/8 inch carbs?
Thanks, John McGuire
johnmcguire
948cc

Postby peter an5l » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:51 pm

Why ?
Find a pair of original airfilters for H1 carbs. Or search for trumpets without wire mesh and kill all the poor insects during your drive ! and suck in a lot of dirt and sand particles that will ruin your engine in no time !

The original filters are superb ! Take them off from time to time and clean them in fuel. Let them dry and squirt some oil on the wire mesh inside and put them back.

Piet
peter an5l
1098cc

Postby johnmcguire » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:04 pm

On the contrary, my paying attention to other posts reveals how poorly the wire gauze actually functions. I would prefer the K&N filters if I can get them to fit.
johnmcguire
948cc

Postby johnmcguire » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:34 pm

An excellent solution
I was looking for a way to get K&N filters on my H1 carbs but this is not available.
David Anton at Advanced Performance Tech in Calif. (909-686-0260) custom made beautiful heavy gauge chrome pancakes that use K&N filters to fit my carbs. These are heavier gauge beautiful chrome and cheaper than what was available for the later carbs.
I guess it pays to explore the possibilities.
The stock ones really would not filter out sand!
John
johnmcguire
948cc

Previous

Return to A-Series (948cc, 1098cc, 1275cc)